Guide for Homegroup?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by moonburn, Sep 29, 2009.

1. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Hi, I'm trying to establish a Homegroup between my laptop and my PC. The former has a wireless internet connection, the latter through a wire. I'm trying to setup a connection between the two computers in order to share documents, printer etc. But, as to today, unsuccessful. Anyone found a good tutorial or something? My PC doesn't recognize or find my laptop and vice versa. Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. grinzekatze

grinzekatze MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    hi,
    if you have eset firewall, it won´t work at the moment.
    i don´t know how it is with oher firewalls

3. dar45

dar45 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    If they are both not seeing each other it sounds like a firewall perhaps is blocking, try momentarily disabling both firewalls, then go to homegroup to see if it helps.

4. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    homegroup

i thought the laptop or vice versa had to connect to the other computer through a wireless router,i have my desktop connected by wire to modem then to router ,Ethernet cable to desktop from the router.and my laptop connects to the router by wireless.sounds like you have 2 separate lines.

5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    yeah by the sound of that they are not even on the same subnet. They have to have the same subnet and DNS settings for it to work.

To the guy who said it doesn't work through Eset's Firewall, it worked fine for me. I went to the host PC set it up, and before I even got back to my laptop there was a message saying a homegroup has been setup do you want to join.

6. exorcist

exorcist MDL Junior Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Your question raises more questions than answers it would help if we had some more info but here are some things to check.

1. Is the workgroup name the same on both machines.
    2. Is network discovery on.
    3. If you do not have a user account on the machine you want to connect to you either need to create one or turn off password proteceted sharing in advanced sharing settings. :)

7. rentenklau

rentenklau MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #7 rentenklau, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    A common mistake is to have the same COMPUTER NAME on both computers. Had this problem and it took me quite a while to solve.

8. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    I'm fine with my eset smart security.. and my homegroup is working just fine..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. marsovac

marsovac MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2008
    Also the user with the password has to be logged on, otherwise there is no way to use LAN.

PS
    Hint: Same username / password on both machines makes a life lot easier...
    ;)

10. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
    #10 woebetide, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  11. EpcGuard

EpcGuard MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    Same user name

I too had problem of having same user names on both computers
    changing them solved it
    hope it helps.

12. Pikey

Pikey MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I gave up and ditched using 'Homegroup' after ages fiddling about with it.

I ended up using 'Work Network' instead and sharing folders the normal way .. Internet Connection Sharing seems to work better too without Homegroups.

I'll probably try it again another day, but it seems buggy as hell to me ...

13. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I had a few problems with Homegroup but found out that if i disabled IPV6 (unchecked) in my actual network connection it did not want to join my homegroup successfully.

If it still not working try to ensure the accounts you are using to log onto the machines have an actual password (meaning not blank)

Ensured my IPV6 was checked and my admin accounts on each W7 machine had a password associated with it.

Mfk

14. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    homegroup

maybe you have to have public network checked in the network options,because it seems you have separate network connections.