GUIDE: How to backup and restore Windows 8 activation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JaguarXJ12, Aug 8, 2012.

1. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

2. Adidas

Adidas MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    Is this method is per PC (Hardware) or can i move this folder between different WIN8 PC's?
    thanks,

3. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    It certainly is fixed to the machine and to its OS. If this were the case, the universal activation method were found. I think, it is not :D

4. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Yeah that would have been something alright. But yeah it's tied to the current OS and hardware.
    Added a reminder just in case.

5. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Thanks good to know, plus now I know where I was going wrong ;)

6. Teknik

Teknik MDL Senior Member

Oct 9, 2010
    it's work!!! but slmgr -ipk ???

7. ripdog2121

ripdog2121 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    Hmm... I have activated Enterprise N installed, and I want to switch to professional. You say that it should work independant of version, but how confident are you about that? Do you have any concrete grounds for that belief?

8. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Actually not necessary. I have done this 3 times now without a hitch and haven't used slmgr -ipk once.
    I guess somehow the key magically gets inserted again since it shows up as partial.

You have to activate Professional and then take backup of the activation files again. You can't use the activation files from Enterprise N.

9. ripdog2121

ripdog2121 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    Oh, looks like I misread the statement I was referring to. Thanks for the help, I guess I'm waiting for a server to show up.

10. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

No problem, and good luck!

11. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    will this activation will still only give you the 180 days?if so ,can you use this method to reactivate the original windows and get another 180 days?thanks

12. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Nope for KMS activation it doesn't work that way. What you have now is a working solution for 180 days for your current hardware and OS. Nothing more nothing less.
    When you buy the real Windows 8 which gonna be retail you can make a permanent backup as long as your hardware and OS edition matches to the backup like it always have done with Vista and 7.

13. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Why for the love of god did you post that here. We're already using the RTM version and could easily look at this anytime.
    DON'T HIJACK THIS THREAD!!! :(

14. Kroww

Kroww MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2012
    @jaguarxj12 He is just advertising his site! =))

15. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Why didn't he post a new thread then. This thread is about backing up and restoring activation not Lock screen backgrounds. :(

16. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I am not finding a folder named Store. I am finding a folder under SPP called Tokens. Is that the folder that you are calling the Store folder?

17. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Type in or browse to C:\Windows\System32\spp\

That should take you to the spp folder where the store folder is located.
    Which version of Windows 8 are you using?

EDIT: I'm looking at the folder right now, it's there. It could be that the folder is hidden, then you have to go to folder options and make sure you see hidden items.

18. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Ah ha, it was hidden. Now I can see it. Thanks for your help.

19. DonaldCrader

DonaldCrader MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2012
    Hey

Hi I have been working with Windows 7 and want to know that can I upgrade it into Windows 7 without rebooting If yes then will It slow down my lappy as I have 2 GB of RAM? Is there any adverse impact of that? I have so many programs installed in it and I dont want to re-install all once again.. Please provide me with solution and guide.

20. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I'm not sure I could help you with that actually, and this is the wrong thread to ask it too.