[Guide] Windows 10TP Watremark Removal

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Skaendo, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #1 Skaendo, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. darkodar

darkodar MDL Addicted

Feb 12, 2013

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      53 KB
      Views:
  3. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    That will realy screw up the system :worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Thx for the good work to the op did work for me I have now officially a Frankenstein build :biggrin:

5. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Step 35 is where it stopped working for me. So, what I did was rebooted at that point in the hopes it would let me replace the shell32.dll.mui file (system said the file was being used so it could not allow me to replace it, so reboot usually solves that). However upon signing in, the screen was flashing on and off and there was no use of anything, only Ctrl-alt-delete was working, which only gives me the task manager and did not give me any useful items. Nothing I did including going into safe mode would fix it for me. Tried restoring the files while in safe mode, and that easily worked BUT once I rebooted to desktop the flashing on/off continued. I had to do a full reset and re-install of everything to get back to normal working condition. I took video of the flashing after replacing the files just in case someone here knows what that means.

I am wondering if I would have better luck performing these steps in Safe Mode instead? I'm now on my 3rd 9901 install, so kinda hesitant to do any more tinkering. All I want gone is the "Microsoft Confidential" message.

Any tips? thanks

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Follow steps 25 to 30 and it will be fine :tea:

7. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    @SkOrPn

Like it says you may need to boot into an alternate OS like Win7 or 8 in a dual boot scenario, or a live Linux distro, or a Win8 live USB OS, to replace the shell32.dll.mui.

8. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Might try the Windows 8 Live USB later on if it can see RAID0 partitions, if not then I think I am just going to live with it. Its not bothering me that much...

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Have been searching for the "left over" string this morning myself could not find it maybe it is in another file

10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #10 Hadron-Curious, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    It is under the string table line number 3876 - which is the last number on the string table.With the ID number 62000 and the value is the copyright information.

11. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Thx for looking !

That string is already removed by following the tutorial of the op we are talking about a different string Evaluation copy. Build.winmain_prs.141202-1719.etc

Greetz Base

12. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I've actually searched all 1700 MUI files in the \system32\en-US\ and no luck so far. It would be easier if someone who knew about the boot process could track down the file. It could also not be in a MUI file at all. Not likely, but possible.

13. Painter7

Painter7 MDL Junior Member

Jun 18, 2011
    :biggrin: Watermarks ends with a hash which is calculated by shell32.dll from registry

Once you modify the shell32.dll file the OS won't boot anymore. If you will patch the registry hive, the you will get a BSOD every few hours.
    The only solution is in-memory patch for shell32.dll which I am too lazy to implement.

14. Lesita

Lesita MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2014
    thanks for your hard work but i think the watermark is a symbol of pre-release software and i like it

15. twinhead

twinhead MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanks guys. Followed the steps and have the trademarks removed.

Except the "leftovers".... .c4f9af4aetc.....

16. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Yeah I actually like the Evaluation copy line myself, feels like a badge of honor and enforces the fact that I am on the bleeding edge, regardless if stability isn't top notch. I just really hate the Microsoft Confidential statement as it blocks much of my beautiful background and is perfectly understood. It just does NOT need to be there. Unfortunately my system refuses to cooperate and the moment I edit the files I get a disabled computer.

I wonder if someone who has a working system can share their edited working dlls? Would be nice for the users who have systems that will not cooperate with the above Guide. :D

17. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Are you copying the files to a different folder and then editing them?
    If you follow the guide step by step it will work. I have reinstalled 9901 3 times, just to test this, followed the guide and it worked evrery time.

18. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    why are u guys even bored with the water mark....u will not run this for much longer.:macwheel:

19. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #19 Skaendo, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    (OP)
    To some people it is just an eyesore. I dont mind the "Technical Perview" and build Watermark, but the "Confidential" one is not really eyecandy.

*This will also serve future builds & leaked builds as they become available

20. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Yeah step by step to the letter T. Everything works until I get to the second file "shell". This edit will NOT be replaced. I keep getting a popup telling me it is busy. I have tried everything, but it does not work. The ONLY option I have at this point is to restart the computer and when it boots back up the entire display flashes on and off. At this point only safe mode works, and even then I get an error and am locked out of the explorer, no menus no desktop no nothing. I can right click and navigate to the edited files and try and replace the first one, which actually works. However, from this point even though you would think everything should now be fine, the display/desktop is permanently broken and just flashes really fast on and off. ONLY Ctrl-alt-delete is functional and I can access the Task Manager, which is of no help. I wanted to try the method of using another OS, but I am raided so the Live OS must see the raid array.

Anyway, I cant continue trying this because if it breaks it again I have no more Microsoft computers setup and will need to start from scratch, and that will cost me all my settings and apps that I have had in my account for years now. I am not willing to break this last 9901 install, so the watermarks will stay until a new official build comes out. Then I can try again.

If the consumer preview only has the eval mark and version number I will be perfectly fine with that.