[Guide] Windows 7 Embedded Activation After Installation

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by Kronz, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Kronz

Kronz MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2011
    #1 Kronz, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    I decided to try Windows Embedded under a VM Virtual Machine and the first thing I noticed was that it was less than willing to activate with the usual tools and was greeted with a friendly warning that Windows Embedded must be reinstalled fully if I wish to activate it.

Here is what I did instead.

1. Got the eZ-Activator from another thread, although the Easy Activation doesn't seem to work.
    2. Used a key from this thread here h__p:// forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/28555-Windows-Embedded-Standard-7-keys
    3. Entered the key under the "Custom Key" section in the Toolkit, clicked Install. Install was a success.
    4. Now I went back to the Activation tab and clicked "Activate". Operation was a success.

I am not sure if it was relevant, but Windows seemed to be unable to activate without slui.exe, which was missing and another one of its libraries, which I took from another version of Windows I had and pasted them there.

Here are screenshots attached of the successful activation.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Here are the files needed for a 32bit Windows 7 Embedded to activate properly.
    h__p: //datafilehost.com/download-aade5da1.html

Please do note you can not use the links in System Properties to Activate or Change Product key. You need to use the Toolkit, instead.

I dealt with the reboots every 20m by scheduling a task with Windows Task Scheduler to execute shutdown.exe -a
    to prevent the Windows scheduled shutdown from executing

Hope this helps someone.

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    It doesn't need an "activator" or even "activating". You enter the key (slmgr.vbs -ipk) and it's done. Removing the WLMS package will get rid of the reboots.
    Still, I can imagine it might be detected and cause issues later on, so of course the clean way of doing it is installing with a non-eval key.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Kronz, appreciate your effort, but as per 100 reply, it is completely pointless and bound to confuse somebody instead of helping!

4. Jacoub

Jacoub MDL Member

Aug 14, 2011
    just use keys optained from point 2 while intalling Windows Embedded Standard 7 & you don't need to activate anything or remove anything. Even Microsoft stated it is static activation. I do appreciate your efforts.

5. jinxt

jinxt MDL Novice

May 22, 2011
    Kronz' post is confusing, but it is actually also helpful. Kronz is referring to the problems encountered when attempting to use/activate an "evaluation" copy of WES7. I can confirm that his instructions (once deciphered :) do actually yield a successfully activated status on the evaluation copy of this OS (keys cant normally be used on eval)