[GUIDE] Windows 8.1 Memory Leak How to fix.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by warlordll, Apr 23, 2014.

1. warlordll

warlordll MDL Member

Apr 25, 2011
    #1 warlordll, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    I have noticed over the past few days something odd was happening to my almost brand new pc since these windows updates and it took a lot of time and reading to figure this out. I will take no credit for this as this was someone else's ideas and how they fixed it, but i will say thanks to this guide it also fixed my problem.

See below for the full how to guide.

Step 1 Use the charms bar on the right hand side and go to search and type regedit.

Step 2 Navitgate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NDU

Step 3 Where it says Start on the right panel right click it and select modify and change the value data to 4, click ok then restart the PC.

By doing this myself i went from 97% ram used to a nice 15%- 18% with minor apps running and games running at about 30%.

After disabling Ndu.sys (Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver) with regedit and performing normal boot - voila memory leak has gone!!!!

UPDATE: After more reading this problem is to do with Qualcomm Killer e2200 Network So as far as i know if your using Any of the MSI Gaming G mother boards and possibly the ASrock Faitality series boards you could have having the same problems as i have.

Hope this helps.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Schematic

Schematic MDL Junior Member

Apr 26, 2013
    When I was using windows 8, opening the task manager, it was always at 99% memory and then it would drop back to 25% immediately, if i would open right away the task manager again, it seemed it was going up around 75%. I think it was just messing around with me lol:mad:, I havent tested that yet on 8.1 though.

4. warlordll

warlordll MDL Member

Apr 25, 2011
    #5 warlordll, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    (OP)
    i just bought 4 new sticks of ram last week and thought with all the blue screens i kept getting and rising ram usage and thought that my ram was faulty..i spent loads on them and was very angry..lastnight i looked up the problem and this solved it for me.

i will post screenshots of proof before and after shots so you get the idea of my problem..who knows someone might have another suggestion for me to try.

Out of all the things i tried before this fix didnt work at all, i basically clicked the ram tab above to see what prog was using the most and closed every single one to have this still happen.

-I went into Msconfig and Disabled everything non microsoft windows related and ram usage still went up.

-I've fully updated pc thinking i might have missed an update or two and it was still happening.

-Booted into safe mode etc with networking and used various ideas and progs like the guide suggested and couldnt find out how to turn off NDU.sys but the reg edit trick seemed to have worked.

i even took all the ram sticks out and replaced but failed on that too lol.

Started off using 8gb til the problem was solved btw..was only when it was solved i went back to 16gb :)

5. Schematic

Schematic MDL Junior Member

Apr 26, 2013
    I only have 4gb:(, Ill try this trick when i will install 8.1 on my host, if that issue still occur for me. Maybe on my case it was just bad reading from the task manager, cuz if i kept it open it was always in iddle.

6. warlordll

warlordll MDL Member

Apr 25, 2011
    currently running a test atm with 16gb in without the tweak, not sure what happend but usually happens when system is idle ie when im asleep is when the massive useage build up happens..may have been the fact they wasnt in propperly or is only happening when i use 4gb, it did happen last week when i had 16gb though.

7. sukinsin88

sukinsin88 MDL Addicted

Oct 17, 2012
    what is this s..it ? Ndu.sys (Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring Driver) :eek:

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If it only happens on certain network cards, it sounds like more of a problem with the drivers for that particular chipset, not a problem with the ms service.
    Turning off the service will likely just cause problems with other services that depend on it.

I would actually recommend trying to find newer chipset drivers for your particular NIC and see if that fixes the issue.
    If it doesn't, then by all means, regedit away.

9. warlordll

warlordll MDL Member

Apr 25, 2011
  10. Aergan

Aergan MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2009
    This solved my 15.99/16.00GB of RAM consumption on my new Gigabyte Z97N-Gaming 5 - many, many thanks!

Qualcom Atheros Killer E2200.

11. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Aergan

Aergan MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2009
    Seems to be the driver regardless of software from my testing.
    Driver version: 8.0.2.42

13. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    The MSI 1.1.42.1045 package contains driver 8.1.0.23...

14. Aergan

Aergan MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2009
    I'll give that a go, cheers

15. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    If you don't want to install the package then here are just the drivers for win7 & Win8 64bit v8.1.0.23.

Attached Files:

16. DCK Marijn

DCK Marijn MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    For now this helped my really much, i continued my download and 1 hour later the non paged pool didn't get bigger, i hope this will stay like this forever. Thank you very much :clap:

17. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    i disable that after a fresh install regardless memory leak or not, i didn't find any use for it.