Guys I could REALLY use some help setting up Home and Leb network

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by rmilyard, Feb 28, 2015.

1. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015
    I am having a hard time getting this to work. Here is what I have:

Cox Cable Modem (ISP) into my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router WAN. From Nighthawk to my HP Procurve switch. All my home wired gear and WiFI gear are getting DCHP from the Nighthawk. Network is on 10.0.1.X, 255.255.255.0

I picked up a Dell 2950 ad going to use it for my Lab computer so I picked up a cheap Netgear N300 router. I was planning using 10.0.2.X for the Lab network. I need to separate these network so in the Lab I can run DCHP and DNS etc and not mess up the Home network. I would like to be able to Remote Desktop from Home network into Lab Server since all gear is in closet.

So I setup how I thought it should go. I ran Ethernet from the switch into the new N300 Router WAN port. I setup the LAN for 10.0.2.1. I have the Dell server plugged into the Ethernet ports on the N300. So from the server I have internet provided from my home network. I can ping anything on the 10.0.1.X or 10.0.2.X network from the server.

Now when I come to my Home desktop. I can't ping anything on the 10.0.2.X network. Not ever the router at 10.0.2.1. Since can't reach anything on Lab network there is no way to try remote desktop.

Can anyone help me out? I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I even watched this video on youtube and still lost!

Can't post links since I am new!

2. Intelchips

Intelchips MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2015
    USE VLANS to solve your problem

I think what I would do in your situation is to use the two mobo nics to solve your problem: config one nic to use VLAN2 on10.0.1.2 and the other nic to use VLAN 10 for your lab. Now windows will only allow one nic to have a gateway so use your gate way to point at your WAN access. On the other nic use leased addresses because as part of DHCP leases you can set a gateway for each lease. Forget the second router it’s not needed config your switch to use VLAN 2 on the ports connected to you home gear and config VLAN 10 to all ports used for the lab and bobs your uncle

3. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015
    To be honest I thought using the router would be the easiest way but guess I was wrong. I have given this HP Switch and not sure how to do VLANs and not even sure how they would work. If anyone is willing to help me out please feel free!

4. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Your problem comes down to this: from the N300 router's point of view, everything that's on its WAN side is "external" and part of the Internet, including your 10.0.1.x subnet. Conceptually, just think of the N300 as a normal home router where the WAN port connects to the "Internet service provider" and the 10.0.2.x subnet is the home subnet. Think of what you would have to do if you were somewhere on the internet and were trying to connect to a computer on a home subnet.

Normally to ping a router from the WAN (external, Internet) side or connect to any services from outside to the inside, you'd have to configure the router's settings, open up ports and do port forwarding etc. For example for Remote Desktop, you would have to configure the N300 router to forward port 3389 to the appropriate 10.0.2.x address of your server. From a device on the 10.0.1.x network, you would have to remote desktop to the N300's WAN address, such as 10.0.1.100. With the setup you described, you will never be able to directly ping any 10.0.2.x address from 10.0.1.x.

You do not need VLANs to fix the problem as described above.

5. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015
    #6 rmilyard, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    (OP)

Alright you are the MAN! I setup N300 to forward port 3389 to 10.0.2.3 (server) and on desktop if I know RDP to server at 10.0.1.2 (N300 WAN port) I can get in!

So now since Lab is on different network I should be able to use DCHP and DNS etc on the Lab network without messing with Home network?

6. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015
    So next question since this is working. So if I setup some VMs on the Dell for Lab how would I be able to remote into them? Maybe would need to remote in main server then into next?

7. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    if this was your goal..why wouldn't you run directly from HP switch or Netgear "static" IP , allow server to take care of dhcp , routing , Vswitching for vm's ??

8. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015

When comes to this type of networking I am a noob. I would love it something simple and works. But doing this is not within my skills as of yet.

9. leebo_28

Jun 12, 2011
    is the Dell server the only member of your "lab"? You will see once you start messing with the features how uncomplicated you can have your setup..especially if your lab will be contained within your server with vm's

10. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015

Correct it is only computer on Lab network.

11. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    I think rmilyard's approach is sound and I like it. He is keeping his Lab network completely isolated from the rest of his home network. This means he can screw things up on the Lab network as much as he wants.

@rmilyard: Keep doing what you are doing, keep 10.0.1.x and 10.0.2.x separate. You can do whatever the hell you want in your lab network (dhcp, dns etc.) and it won't mess up your home network.

As for remote desktop-ing into the VMs, you have two options:
    1) As you yourself already suggested, remote desktop into the server, then from the server remote desktop into a VM. Such double-layered remote desktop-ing does work, I use it all the time. (If you are using Hyper-V as the hypervisor, then you can also use regular Hyper-V connection to a VM instead of the 2nd remote desktop.)
    2) Open additional ports on the N300, one for each VM you want to remote desktop to. I don't recommend this solution, as the port configurations between the VMs will get messy.

12. leebo_28

Jun 12, 2011
    #13 leebo_28, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    his lab network involves one "1" server. no need for the n300 what-so-ever! He can set his vswitch to the 10.0.2.x for his vm's using his server's second lan port and keep his "lab network" isolated. once you open and foward ports from one lan to the other..not isolated anymore. if his procurve is a managed switch..well things just got a lil crazier didn't it. I didn't try to steer him one way or the other , he will find out through trial and error like we all have..but nothing is "sound" with his setup!

@rmilyard.. in time you will find less complicated ways to do your setup..if it works..so be it :cheers:

13. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015

The switch is a manage switch. However I don't really know much about using it. Pretty much was there so I can plug all my devices into it in one spot my closet. It was given to me from work.

If someone knows how to program the VLANs and get rid of second router that would be ok. Saves me $50.

14. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015
    Website seems to be down right now.

15. leebo_28

Jun 12, 2011
    took me a couple times for it to load..it's an online pdf

16. rmilyard

rmilyard MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2015
    I got the PDF. I am a noob. I can't seem to figure this out. Hate when I am clueless! VLANs are completely new to me.

17. leebo_28

Jun 12, 2011
    private-vlan-example.png just an example..your setup works, don't sweat it. thats why your setting up a lab in the first place:spoton: