Hack(s) to prevent a specific update from being installed via Windows Update?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by anansay, Sep 5, 2020.

1. anansay

anansay MDL Member

Jul 13, 2020
  2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. anansay

anansay MDL Member

Jul 13, 2020
  4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
  5. sungerbob

sungerbob MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2014
    It does not block specific update but it blocks from auto downloading/installing it. You can use 3rd party update tool like wumgr to block or install updates that you wanted.
    PS: I tried nearly every 3rd party tool that disables auto updates and best approach is using stopwinupdates + wumgr like I described above

6. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Actually it does even better: it gives you a choice over when and what to install.
    Simply right-click Desktop, click Hide - name of the update -> gone.
    Windows won't bother about it anymore.
    Could uninstall the script at this point, if you don't want to manually manage updates from now on,
    but note that sometimes MS resets this opt-out preference later on.

Just as easy can undo the operation. Or disable the script until needed - because it's a script, no 3rd party app, and it only works when windows checks for updates, it consumes no resources.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. anansay

anansay MDL Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Sounds interesting, especially it is a script open for everyone to view.

Are you its author?

8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Yes.
    There are many other solutions on mdl and elsewhere to tackle updates, but I'm found of my own for it's incredible commodity in usage.
    Before you ask, like any script, it can be perfected. It has not seen changes in over two years because it simply worked as-is.
    Yesterday added a hotfix for update downloads blocking, and it's on my close todo list to get it to do it's job with even less WU hard-blocks.

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Can You tell Which version of Windows 10 it is where the Windows Update downloads and installs third-party updates?
    Then such a version can be avoided in the future.

10. anansay

anansay MDL Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Windows 10 Pro