Hacker trying to get me? Norton Antivirus

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by superdork, Jul 3, 2010.

1. superdork

superdork MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2010
    #1 superdork, Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
    Hello all!

Norton keeps giving me the message "An attack on your system has been blocked" when i try to press details; it does not open. Now when i go to the norton menu and try to enter history or quarantine it opens but after no time at all closes itsself again. I am trying to figure out if someone is hacking or if it is just some crappy compnay malware stuff...

So i decided to chat with nortons folks online right... And they tried to charge me a fee to get an "expert" to remotely help me... what a joke!

My chat session with Norton (I made it fun to read for you):

Could anyone help? If im in the wrong section sorry; first time I EVER used a forum...

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Well you're connected to the internet so of course its possible that someone is trying to hack your computer. My advice ..... scrap Norton. Get Avast 5, Malwarbytes anti - malware and use windows firewall.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xrdguy

xrdguy MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    Ha..Ha.. Last one was funny when you said that you will charge fee to end the session. Regarding your problem alextheg said right. Use Avast 5. there is also a boot time scan option which will scan your computer before it completely boots. In that way it will get rid of any crap you might have on your computer and best of all it is free for home use. It could be also possible that in reality your computer might not be infected by virus. it might be just Norton giving your some fake message so people get panicked and pay their so called premium service fee.

4. rupsd

rupsd MDL Senior Member

May 27, 2010
    Okay everyone's using avast or avira or etc etc but why no one's using eset products???

5. superdork

superdork MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2010
    hi

thanks so much guys, yea most def switching up!

6. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    #6 fdjc, Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
    Avast does not have a firewall and windows firewall offers basically no protection from hackers dude...

Norton antivirus, 2010, actually scores pretty well in resource use and detection rates in comparison to Avast and AVG free offerings.

@superdork,
    Do you have Norton Antivirus or Noton Internet Security installed?

If so what version? I am using 2010 myself after upgrading from 2009. 2008 or less is pure crapware though, bloated.

7. mrthuvi

mrthuvi MDL Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Seriously, windows firewall is actually pretty good.

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    But not the XP version..... o_O

9. superMDMArio

superMDMArio MDL Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Too bad that! I felt bad for you!

my choice would you install kaspersky Internet Security.

I assure you that the trial version will remove all virus and firewall still display and block intrusion attempts to your PC.

;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    You got a P2P software installed and running? Could be that.

11. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Haha that's rich, Norton trying to scam and milk you for even more money.

I use AVG Free for Antivirus + Spyware and ZoneAlarm Free for Firewall.
    I think I never have had any problems with the free editions.

Alternative I use Microsoft Security Essentials + Windows Firewall and no problems there either.

AVG Free is actually quite good, it provides features for safe browsing (usually I use my common sense when I browse the net, but still)

This setup have worked quite well for me and so far under all these years, no viruses and zero threats.

12. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I have been using Norton for several years now and I can say that whenever it blocks a web-based attack it will say "A recent attack was blocked." That goes for anything web-based related. That is probably what you are getting. You say it is just AV so there is no hacker protection so you will not get warnings from Norton if your computer is actually trying to get hacked because of the lack of the norton firewall found in NIS and N360

13. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Actually most AV/IS programs do cost money because of the work that the company does to support their products. The truth is Norton is a really good program now and they are not more expensive then other competitors. I can also say that in most cases it is better to buy an AV/IS program then it is to download one for 2 reasons. 1. YOu get excelent support 24-7. 2. They are kept more up to date in most cases and usually have better protection ratings. Lets say "Look at Avast for example." Avast Free and Avast AV Pro are both AntiViruses but one is free and the other costs money. The Pro version will actually perform better and protect you more then the free version because of that difference. That is how I look at it anyway. Plus I get norton 360 4.0 for FREE! :D

14. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010

...How...?

15. rupsd

rupsd MDL Senior Member

May 27, 2010
    yeah how??i know a way though

16. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Good and valid points there Sam.

Though I don't really care that much about AV programs actually, AVG Free has worked good since I first started using it since 7.5 and have not costed me a cent since day one.
    And since I don't have any problems or any other troubles I don't need the support part, if and only if something would come up I usually solve it myself.
    ZoneAlarm is an old beast which I first started to use on a Windows 98 machine but I dropped it later on and it was only until recently I discovered a free version of their firewall.

As long as they release free versions I'll stick with those no matter how worse they perform.

17. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I do here you and understand I just look at it like the costly versions are more like Premium lol

@fdjc & rupsd: I get a special edition of Norton 360 4.0 called Norton Security Suite 4 which is provided by Comcast for Comcast High-Speed Internet Customers. That is why I get it lol. They switched from Mcafee to Norton. :)

18. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Newest Norton is pretty good, NIS, 360 and AV. McAfee is bloatware still and poor detection rates with a sub par GUI tbh.

AVG or Avast for free tbh, AVG is a bit of a resource hog since 8.0, its not as bad now in 9/9.5 but nowhere as light as 7.5 used to be.

19. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Personally I think the best free AVs are either Avast or Avira but again, I prefer more of the IS versions because the firewall and other things lol

20. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    if you really want to feel super secure? disconnect from the net, take any multi-color pill and smoke some cannabis. security is a myth. all security measures have been broken and is getting broken and will be broken.
    moral : security is not a blackbox device that you plug in and you are safe from all evils and nuances. its a methodology or practice which needs to be updated. use your fav search engine and try to investigate what is the issue and then try to fix.
    i am a linux user, and i got hacked, cracked, ddosed etc etc, even with hardened environment like firewall and ids and ips and etc etc, so nothing is secure, but i did learn of my setup and programming flaws from those attacks and i had to fix them as time passes by. internet is not something where you will feel like in paradise, its going to turn into modern warfare, so no point in creating a fuss.
    option : disconnect from the internet pull the plug, you are safe and security is a myth.