Hanging on Verifying DMI Data Pool... After installing W7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sjcuth, Dec 30, 2009.

1. sjcuth

sjcuth MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    #1 sjcuth, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    Hi all,

I've just installed W7 on a new drive in an Acer Aspire M1100 and everything went as expected untill it went to boot after the installation.

it came up with the Acer splash screen then the sceen went black and displayed "Verifying DMI Data Pool........" and just sits there.

I've read a number of other forums and they have all been saying the Bios need resetting so I did this but not it wont even bring up the Acer splash screen. the fans in the case spin up and the CD drive light flashes but then nothing. From my limited experiance it would seem like there is no BIOS.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Simon

2. LuckLuka

LuckLuka MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Hi,
    Umm, here is a fix, buy a "Troubleshooting POST-card"
    open your case and insert in on the motherboard
    boot the system, when it will start showing "Verifying DMI Pool data" on the screen
    you will see the error on the Screen of the POST-Card

DMI Pool data is usually problems with the bios,
    another method wud be resetting the bios NOT via the bios, but by opening the case and pressing the CMOS Reset Button(if u have), or removing the CMOS Battery for 10Min :D

3. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Verifying DMI pool data can mean a bad BIOS, like it's hanging for some reason because the checksums aren't right etc. Clear the cmos, and if that fails, there may be need to replace the motherboard. Can you still access a boot cd? If so, it may be a problem with loading the OS after that.

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #4 Dolorous Edd, Dec 30, 2009
    Shut the computer off and unplug it, Unplug the hard drive that you installed windows to, reset the bios via the jumper or switch (download the motherboard or computer manual), boot up the computer and see what happens.

Sometimes with stubborn boards where the reset jumper doesn't work it may help to remove all ram then start the computer, let the board error due to no installed memory, shutdown, reinstall ram and try again.

Did you install a loader when you installed windows?

EDIT: after unpluging the HDD, do not plug it back in until you successfully get the computer to boot off a DVD/CD. I would suspect that something about that hard drive or its boot sector was causing the original hang, reseting the bios didn't help because the boot sector was still corrupted. Some OEM computers have problems with loaders and you may need to format that drive, once you get access to the bios set the boot order to boot to CD/DVD, try hooking up the drive, boot the the DVD and run startup repair from the disk or there is a command that will rebuild the boot sector and I think it will remove any loader. Sorry, don't remember that command but someone here should and I am running late for work.

Good luck, I don't think any thing is permanently wrong with you board, from what you said you didn't flash the bios and it did boot to verifying dmi pool.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sjcuth

sjcuth MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    #5 sjcuth, Dec 30, 2009
    (OP)
    Thanks guys... I'm currently trying the "remove CMOS Battery" again for the 10 minutes you recomend. I think I only did it for 2-3 mins previously.

I didn't install any loaders, just from the corproate DVD I have been given by my office. I'll also give the remove all ram thing ago.

6. sjcuth

sjcuth MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    OK... I think I've killed it... as not the fans spin up briefly and then nothing no light on the frint pannel nothing.... I think it's going to be a new Motherboard :confused:

7. sjcuth

sjcuth MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    Moving the jumper from 2-3 to 1-2 has made no difference, I have tried everything you all have posted bar the flashing of the BIOS (mainly as I'm out of my deapth with that) and I get the same responce...

press power button.... Fans spin up... HD spins up... nothing on screen, power light & HD light perminently on ,on the case.

Any more ideas?

Cheers for all your help

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Anything at all displaying on your monitor ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. bcl

bcl MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    i had the same "dmi...." problem.

take the hardrive out of that pc. format it in another pc or using a usb enclosure.

that put it back again in the pc you want it and install a fresh copy.

that should solve it

10. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    It actually can be a lot of different things. For starters you may have blown something on your mobo. It could be a hardware issue. It could even be a cmos/bios issue. I would do what other people are saying. If you have a spare video card, put that one in and see if your display works. If not then contact your mobo manufacture and see if they have some kind of end user repair system. If that is unavailable then probably a bad bios bricked your mobo dude.

11. sjcuth

sjcuth MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    no there's nothing at all on the monitor, it doesn't even wake up

12. bcl

bcl MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    check your cables again. (only applys if you ur using ide hardrive)
    check them if you have fitted them right way.
    dont know how to explain it though

this happended to me about an year ago. after changing a hardrive, plugged my ide cable to the new hardrive wrongway. so when i turned on the computer nothing would display.

13. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

This may sound silly but I have seen it happen before, do you have another computer to check the monitor on? I have seen this before where somone thought the computer was dead, turned out to be the monitor.

14. Pusspa

Pusspa MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2009
    Sometimes a dodgy pwr supply can cause the problems you have described. Can/have you tried a different pwr supply?

15. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    If you move the jumper, just remember to not boot with the jumper moved :) it should always be in the normal position when the computer is turned on.