HAPPY 5th ANNIVERSARY WINDOWS 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by SAM-R, Oct 1, 2019.

1. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    The 1st Build of Windows 10, 9841 went live for Download on 1 Oct. 2014 for Insiders.

happy_5th_anniversary.jpg

2. Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    my condolences!
    I wish Windows 10 had never been released and you would evolve Windows 7 forever as Windows 11.

3. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Heres one 5 year old that should have been drowned at birth.

4. the_soft45

the_soft45 MDL Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Windows 10, at first, seemed like a good idea: take the good bits about Windows 8.1 and improve all of the bad bits. We got to see the new Start Menu that, at the time, was a pleasant mix between the Windows 8 design and the Windows 7 design, the apps finally behaved like regular programs and we got new window management capabilities. Additionally, a Microsoft account stopped being necessary to use the Store and most apps!
    Things started to go sour as development moved along. Suddenly, Windows Update got a new UI and you couldn't select updates. Then the telemetry that people thought was only for the Insider Previews was left intact for the final 1507 release. The window buttons (close, maximize, minimize) were enlarged to ridiculous sizes and coloring was removed. After that initial release things became bleaker. Sure, new releases of 10 did add 1 or 2 useful features, but each subsequent iteration got more redundant and more bug ridden.
    IMO, MS should've continued iterating on Windows 8.1 as they planned with the unreleased Update 3, that would've added the Start Menu we saw in the first Insider Preview and the windowed apps. Then they could've released a proper more feature complete Windows 10.

5. mokoko

mokoko MDL Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Windows 7 simply was the best Windows after XP. This "Metro" and "UWP" thing ruined. They always gives errors. Not to mention they are slow. And instead of fixing and improving it, Microsoft one-by-one transform all native applications to Metro apps. Like control panel. And probably soon, Explorer itself. So I expect hundreds of crashes and instant closes...

They like saying: You didn't like UWP? Im gonna make everything UWP!

Metro apps (Store apps) are also buggy. When an exception raised, app closes itself immediately without any message or info. A native app normally throw a messagebox and then crash.

Even my start menu just doesn't start sometimes. I had to click few times or restart explorer.

Action center is another issue. When Windows stay open for few days, action center becomes unresponsive. Notifications stops, when -for example- someone write you in a messenger app and you typically get a notification, it just doesn't work.

Everything made by UWP (Metro) is awful. God sake its just awful.

If I were Microsoft, I would stop all development of Windows 10, fork the Windows 7 source code and start over again from there.

6. moistbuns

moistbuns MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2015
    #6 moistbuns, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Things might be different if they'd been more receptive to Feedback (or worse). I've seen mixed opinions on Feedback Hub / Uservoice; some say there's many examples of voted features/issues that were later added/corrected whilst others say the feedback often goes unnoticed by MS and see the whole Insider thing as a means to cut QA budget, get telemetry and provide an image that they're listening.

I can certainly see a good argument for the latter considering how many poorly tested updates were flighted throughout Windows 10's lifespan thus far. They just can't seem to avoid landing in the tech news often.

For what it's worth they seem to get some things right and Windows 10 is improving, it's just rather slow to happen.

I also think in it's current state UWP design gives a sticky impression, that 10 is a still little bit 'frankenstein' and it's got some way to go. Windows 10 would be a lot more appealing if they cleaned it up a la 'more is less'; I'd like it if they brought out something more lean and refined than just LTSC, both inside and outside - without crippling it like Windows Starter.

7. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    Windows 7 is just old. The UI, the Built in Tools like DISM etc. That is why I kept Windows 8.1 (use to run Office Beta)) over Windows 7.
    For Windows 10, I currently Multi-Boot 18362.387, 18362.10022, & 18990.1.

8. mokoko

mokoko MDL Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I know. But Windows 7 was amazing. And UI, even for a old os, was good too. That's why I said, fork the code and update from there... However, despite my issues and despite that i don't like UWP, I will always use latest version of Windows. I just don't like UWP-thing. The rest is ok.

9. oilernut

oilernut MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2007
    That would be a huge step back, there is much more to the OS than the GUI.

10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    To MS: Make a Windows 10 version for the die-hards, no Telemetry crap. Full Update control. Aero Glass. Look and behave like Windows 7, with all the kernel benefits. Sell it AS-IS, without support, to people who know what they do (Power users, technicians). With such a Windows Edition, Windows 7 would be retired much faster.

But as it is now, you just don't listen. Or don't care. Thus, Windows 7 will persist.

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm Windows 10 is a wonder however you need to make a mountain settings via Group Policy, Regedit etc and stay away from UWP applications...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    M$ hates Windows 7 because they can not make profits after the sale. (tracking & adware) MS wants to kill W7 with malice and show no quarter, asap.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  14. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    and they are getting help from intel and amd :mad: intel do support it on H310C chipset but thats a token gesture at best, luckily its good enough for me. 8.1 works on B360 :)

15. Jogs

Jogs MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Unhappy Birthday To You :bash:

16. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    and hope it dies before its 6 though i reckon it will die at 10(and not a moment too soon).

17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    windows 10 will not die according to M$.... it will only morph into a lower existence than it is today.
    1909 is on it's way and nobody knows what new bugs it has given birth to as of yet

18. S_SubZero

S_SubZero MDL Member

Sep 22, 2012
    As my work's "Deployment guy" I've found Windows 10 to be way smoother to deploy than previous versions. During the 8.1 days I started exploring keeping the original-from-MS install.wim file and wrapping all of my customization around it in scripts. I couldn't fully realize it in 8.1, but Win10 has been very good for this. I haven't run sysprep in years and I love it. Every time I feel like changing out the current production Windows 10 install I just replace the install.wim in WDS, then get lunch. The scripting is more efficient and Powershelly. MDM support is nice too, we recently started dipping our toes in MDM on Macs and Windows.

19. Aly

Aly MDL Member

Feb 27, 2008
    #19 Aly, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    I can't install AMD chipset drivers on earlier versions of windows using an X570 chipset Asus motherboard. I am forced to use windows 10!
    I installed windows 8.1. Took forever to install. 20 minutes. This is using a GIGABYTE AORUS NVMe Gen4 SSD 2TB M.2 2280 PCI-Express 4.0 !
    Win10 installs in 2 minutes :D Boots instantly :evil2:

20. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015