Hard drive causes power surge on multiple computers.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gravitunex, Jun 2, 2013.

1. gravitunex

gravitunex MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2008
    Whenever I connect my 2.5'' Hard drive via a Hard Disk enclosure, it causes power surge on the USB ports on multiple computers, does this mean that the hard drive is screwed already ?

Thanks =)

2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Have you tried using a different HDD in the enclosure? If so then its going to be said enclosure that is causing the problems.
    Have you tried connecting the HDD internally? If you can and it doesn't appear cause problems then it is the enclosure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Could be!

Could also that the HDD need's more power than your USB port is delivering. If you could connect a PSU to the enclosure just do that. If not, and you connect to an desktop, connect the HDD enclosure to the USB ports on back of that machine instead the front USB!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gravitunex

gravitunex MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2008
    I will try to find another HDD to try asap.
    Hmm the target laptop isn't booting up at all, that's why I am checking if the hard disk is still working..

The enclosure provides 2 usb output ports. I connected both, so it should have sufficient power, but it still gave me a power surge.

5. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    AT ALL? As in not start, no power? Or the HDD will not load a OS?

Weird, I wouldn't plug the both of them in, could be the issue.

What make is the enclosure? Can you provide a link?

6. gravitunex

gravitunex MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2008
    Hmm yes, the target laptop is not even receiving any form of power. For example, the charger adaptor LED is lit up, but the laptop's LED charging indicator isn't lit up.

Battery power doesn't work too for the target laptop.

Hopefully it is just a blown fuse in the motherboard..

The enclosure is a brandless enclosure =/ .

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I think you mean an so called Y-Cable?! On on end (enclosure) a single connector and on the other end (to connect to Computer) 2 normal USB Connector. Am I right?

The HDD is SATA or IDE?

8. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Is it lit up while plugged into the laptop or always?

If always then its probably a bad wire connection in the bit of wire running from the adapter to the plug that plugs into the laptop, or even the laptops power port.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    No fuse on Laptop MB's! It could be the PSU-Regulator in Laptop which has the similar function as and PSU in Desktop., it get power from source and delivers 12V and 5V to the MB.

10. gravitunex

gravitunex MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2008
    Ahh yes, the Y-cable.

Oh I see thanks for the info. I may get the laptop repaired, is the repair cost for the PSU-regulator expensive ?

The laptop's charging LED indicator always lits up when it is connected to the charger in the past.

Hmm, so there can be a lot of reasons why ..

Although I have a suspicion that my hard drive caused my laptop to short circuit..

Here's the series of events. Pardon the lengthy text. :worthy:

Initially, I was testing out a SATA to USB adaptor using the Hard Drive of the target laptop, but it didn't work. The SATA to USB adaptor has a part in which I have to connect 4 wires to another part of the adaptor. I think I connected it wrongly and the electricity overloaded the hard drive ?

After that, I re-inserted the Hard drive back into the target laptop, and then this message appeared, " Reboot and Select the Proper Device or Media. " .

Shortly afterwards, the target laptop blacked out and was totally unable to boot ever again =/.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be an trip to the next Service is on Order! Let a Pro check out what's the problem and let quote how much a repair would be. Calculate with your budget it's worth or not!