Hard-Drive Clicking. How to get data??

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jrccomputer, Jan 30, 2013.

1. jrccomputer

jrccomputer MDL Junior Member

Apr 3, 2012
    My hard drive started failing last night I would not even boot windows 8 so I took it out of my laptop and put it in an enclosure. Sure enough it is clicking. How can I fix it so I can just get some data off it??? Please be serious as its a real problem. An youtube videos or help would be great.

P.S: I'm using my Brother's Macbook to write this and it's terrible. Older Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz. I miss my i7 notebook and its only ben 8 hours.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    what do you have to transfer the data to?

3. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    Maybe get a tension tool and tighten the hard disks screws before attemting a backup, data retrieval, etc.

4. jrccomputer

Apr 3, 2012
    A large Seagate 3TB USB 3.0 External Hard drive. The Disk is a Hitachi 750GB. I'm already buying a 1TB western Digital to replace this drive. I just want it fix long enough to get some stuff off.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jrccomputer

Apr 3, 2012
    Any help would be great???

6. jrccomputer

Apr 3, 2012
  7. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    seems like it died because of shock.. :D try put it into freezer for 24hrs then try to power it on(when its still cool(!)) you can get up to 20mins of work,if it won't work - repair will cost a lot of $$.

8. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Ok back .. you can try plugging your damaged hard drive to another windows machine and your storage HDD making sure the machines boot drive is 1st boot in bios .. Boot to windows and open up "computer" and if both the added drives are visible your golden drag and drop every folder you want ..

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #11 LatinMcG, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    problem with that refrigerator crazy idea is.. cold to hot= moisture.. then repair becomes almost impossible from oxidation.

he has a bad head on the hdd.
    find model of drive and see if u find heads for it at hddguru.com

10. jrccomputer

Apr 3, 2012
    How can I RMA this hard drive???

11. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    #13 gabris[LT], Jan 31, 2013
    thx latin, forgot to add put it into bag.. :D tried myself, worked actually..
    Replacing heads on lappy hdd, are you joking latin? :) first of all it needs very clean room(laboratory actually)... also oxidation on what? inner hardware(heads and magnetic surface) can't be damaged because its closed so that mechanics would be able to work without ANY external interference(except magnetical)... and for PCB: damage is very minimal... (depends on bag of course..)..
    in my opinion replacing heads is just waste of money because replacing process is very complicated + quite expensive... IF data seems to be precious enough just send it to certified hdd repair center... :rolleyes:

12. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    actually you can't(in most cases) you void your warranty when u disassembled laptop.. only if sending whole machine and they won't notice it.. :) also if you dropped lappy warranty is void anyway..

13. jrccomputer

Apr 3, 2012
    No. I don't need to return the laptop it's fine just the hard drive I need to RMA.

14. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    #16 gabris[LT], Jan 31, 2013
    if its OEM you can't, just whole machine... you even can't disassemble it by warranty contract..

EDIT: also manufacturer won't recover your data, you'll just get new drive...

15. jrccomputer

Apr 3, 2012
    I did not disassemble it. My HDD is under the user accessible area. It's made to add a second hard drive. I will try it I guess.

16. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    With proper tools every area is accessible :roflmao:
    anyway, if problem was caused not by dropping lappy they should replace hdd. :)

17. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if its dell they will take the hdd on rma not whole laptop.

and i have replaced heads for one las read to dispose of hdd.
    i did recover the music tracks.

tried hdd 5 days later and was unreadable from oxidation of platters.

18. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    about freezer method - it needs to be fully assembled.. about changing heads - it can because of fingers or dust.. I have tried myself few times :) if dust will get into heads when hdd is spinning - heads will broke.. :) one very small piece of dust is more than enough..
    you need A class lab to replace them without much risk.