hard drive is readable but cannot be formatted

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by fadinzr, Oct 30, 2016.

1. fadinzr

fadinzr MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2013
    Hello,
    Have my 320GB hard drive that computer can recognize it,
    tried to destroy all partition using Diskpart in cmd or Disk management non of them was able to delete or format the drive.
    any way to get this drive to work ?

2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I always do diskpart in powershell as admin. Type diskpart, list disk, sel disk (# of your drive,) clean, create part pri, sel part 1, format fs=ntfs quick, assign, active (if you want active.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    If it's a SSD it might be dead and at the end of it's life and the only thing it will let you do is copy it. It's a feature of some SSD's

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  5. fadinzr

fadinzr MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2013
    Nop it not SSD

6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #6 Hadron-Curious, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    If the hard disk is not encrypted probably it is faulty. I would suggest you backup your important information(if you can. I doubt it would allow you to do that) and replace it with another one.

7. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Meat[On]A[Stick] MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2015
    OP states the drive is readable. If it is taking longer than normal to read or is making a clicking sound then in all likely hood it is bad.

8. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
  9. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Some faulty hard disks are readable and I have come across them on several occasions. There is need to test it for issues first though.

10. fadinzr

fadinzr MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2013
    This what I get "Diskpart has encountered an error: the request failed due to a fatal device hardware error."

11. fadinzr

fadinzr MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2013
    I will give this a shot once I am free, thanks

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Quick format will not work! You simply should do a full format, which is slow, in free version of LLFMT max up to 50MB/s. Just, in full format, you'll get the precise error's on screen, and that's what you should looking for.

Also, look at HDDGURU for a Firmware update for your HDD, maybe there is one already, and if yes, just do that update.

One thing: LLFMT will lock that HDD before Low-Level formatting! If it couldn't, the Track Zero (0) could be (physically) damaged, or even locked by an (Root-Kit) Infection! If you coul;dn't do the LLFMT, please post a screenshot of that Error (from the running LLFMT apps, NOT any other!)!

13. fadinzr

fadinzr MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2013
    I download SeaTool as the hard drive a Seagate drive and it failed the short and long tests.

14. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
  15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Look at my last post (#13) above! And post actual screen shots please!

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Sounds like the platter is damaged from a head crash (the read/write head contacted the platter and damaged that part of the platter) you might be able to partition off that damaged area of the drive and still use the undamaged area (use hdd scan), That damaged area of the disk platter can not be read or written so partitioning it off might help. Unfortunately the drive is on it's way out and time to put it in the bin and enjoy getting a SSD drive to replace it with

17. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  18. Crime[Scene]

Crime[Scene] MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2016
    Come on folks, the drive is DEAD. No salvage. No data recovery.

I will stake my reputation on it and readily admit I have no reputation!

19. fadinzr

fadinzr MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2013
    #20 fadinzr, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    (OP)
    running some of the suggested apps it indicates that the hard drive has Reallocated sectors count 100 (05), and I did some googling and it shows that the hard near death