Hard Drive Issues

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by dragonfire665, Aug 11, 2009.

1. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Ok so my friend has an old computer, well not that old is about 5yrs old. Is a custom PC but i cant even make out which motherboard is the one his using. But on saturday his hard drive just stop working, so we tried to reinstall windows cuz nothing else was working. While going thru the process Windows Installation came to a problem, it said it wasnt able to located a hard drive install. At that point we decided to buy a new Hard Drive, BTW they are SATA connectors, which it comes wit 2 within this motherboard. Went thru the same steps and got the same problem, not Hard Drive found, i even check BIOS which within it shows no where the Hard Drive or even where to find it cuz there isnt an option for it.

I tried new SATA cables, new PSU and nothing, everything else runs the computer turns on, but im stuck on figuring out what can it be, but my only though is the actual SATA connectors withing the motherboards is damage.

Any ideas?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You should have tried old hard drive in another computer first if that works it could be the sata controller that is not working you may need to buy sata card.

3. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    yea well the SATA controller is attach within the MOBO so i cant remove them, and even if i buy a PCI SATA controller i wont be able to use it since ill need to install the drivers but i have no windows running

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You will get drivers on cd or floppy with controller card:) You may not even need them depending on which card you get or if you ar installing vista for example

5. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    c but thats the issue i cant install vista or XP cuz the computer is not readin the Hard Drive so right now im just stuck wit no Hard Drive, so getting PCi Card will be useless since i have no windows to isntall it to.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    What are you talkng about try old hard drive in another computer see if it get recognized same with new one if they get recognized in other machine then you need to buy a pci sata card simple the controllers on the old mother board are screwed have you tried swaping the sata controllers