Hard Drive Just Got Renamed!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by spiderdan, May 12, 2012.

1. spiderdan

spiderdan MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2010
    Hello,
    I have a 2TB External Hard Drive and I let a friend plug it into his desktop to transfer some files. The minute he plugged it into his esata port, it was renamed to his drive (which was plugged into this port just moments earlier) and a couple of large folders were gone. Does anyone have any idea how this possibly could have happened? Last I checked, Win7 did not go about just randomly changing hard drive names. Could it somehow have edited the partition table or something of this nature? Is there any easy way to just recover the drive to the condition it was in, ie recover files? Not critical if not as I think I have this data backed up at home, will just be a while until I can copy it over.

On another note, I was scanning the drive using a data recovery tool under ubuntu and I got a SMART error that said the disk was being used outside the design parameters. Read rate or something of that extent. The drive was fine before this fiasco and I can't see how plugging it into my friends computer could cause hardware issues. Any idea what's going on here?

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
    When you say "Renamed" do you mean assigned a different drive letter? If so, that's common. If you mean a name such as "System_2TB" was changed to something generic like "New Drive", I've seen that happen too. Moving hard drives from one machine to another may cause name changes. But even if it did, you can rename the drive back to what you want it to be.

The situation with the drive reporting out of spec SMART stats may be a problem ... it may not be. In my experience, SMART is neither all that reliable nor all that accurate.

Have you used any sort of file recovery software to get back the missing folders and files? If not, maybe you should since the longer you wait and the more the drive is used the more likely the data will not be retrievable. And always backup, backup, backup. Drives do fail and if all your data is on a single disk you could lose it all in an instant.

If problems persist and you can't get them resolved, call the drive maker's customer service. Might be a good idea to do that anyway.

3. asabater

asabater MDL Member

Sep 6, 2008
    i have seen some big wd hdds (1tb or +) in external boxes that wen connected to old pc can change it's capcity, ex. 1tb to 32mb or 1.5tb to 500gb (last was seagate), this thing is a HPA (host protected area) and conneceted internal bios only see hdd of 32mb / 500gb, to eliminate this hpa i use a msdos floppy mhdd and command nhpa to return the hdd to full lba capacity,,,,,

saludos from spain;)

4. spiderdan

spiderdan MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2010
    Thanks for the replies guys. When I say renamed, I mean that his drive's name was something like "Steve's Hard Drive" and man was "Dan's Hard Drive". He plugs it in and, without him renaming it (I saw it happen), my drive is now "Steve's Hard Drive" and is missing some large folders. I finally got around to running the Windows scan disk for errors thing and that seems to have gotten everything back - although I haven't had a chance to check closely yet. Was avoiding plugging the drive in until I could run some diagnostic tools, although the good news is that all of this data is backed up - it's just not all in one place like it is on this drive.

Would still love an explanation as far as why the rename/delete if anyone has any thoughts? My buddy is wondering why his system eats hard drives lol.

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
    Keep in mind, the OS is Windows and things just happen ... good, bad and indifferent, things just happen. As to what's going on with your drive, I still say you're going to be best served by calling the vendor and asking them.

Just because you got the data back this time is no assurance you'll get it back the next time, if there is a next time. If SMART is correct and you do indeed have a problem, you need to be talking to the drive maker. If it's out of warranty ... keep making those backups. Regardless, keep making those backups. And system images too.

Maybe your friend's computer is hard coded somehow to name drives. Just dunno.