Hard drive question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BigCol, Mar 29, 2014.

1. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Format in NTFS and accept all the defaults.

2. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Whats the max I can extend the partition?

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You don't get it do you The allocated space is 465gb that is the maximum size. You have to make a partition smaller than that to be able to extend it but it will only be 465gb Maximum.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    You can't extend it beyond 465GB, this was already discussed in previous posts. Using Minitool Partition Wizard use the feature: "Convert MBR disk to GPT disk", then make a new partition spanning the whole drive leaving the default values untouched. That's it.

5. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Thanks guys, I have another question, I have a 640gb external hdd, that I might be looking to use, aswell (storing muisc) however, I have just tried to copy some ablums over and the transfer rate seems very very slow. Any way of fixing this???

6. Al_Gore_Internet_Inventor

Mar 18, 2014
    If your external interface is USB 2.0, then yes, painfully slow. USB 3.0 is theoretically 10x quicker, but closer to 5-6x in my experience. And even if you have a superb USB 3.0 transfer rate, it still takes a long time to copy 100's of GB.

7. Carl.F

Carl.F MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2014
    You just can't increase the space of hard drive. The original total capacity can just not be changed.

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Personally I've using HDD Regenerator 2011 with success. However, some other mates in MDL will tell you is BS rather use MHDD (HDDGURU).

9. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
  10. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009

I have used Hdd Regenerator two years back . the BS is the claim that it regenerates weak, or bad sectors ,which can't be done . every utility , including windows , marks the sector
    as bad and move data to spare sectors .
    Spare ? Yes Sir , the difference between 500gb and 465 gb leaves quite a few sectors , which are not contiguous , but good and usable , and marked by the manufacturer , and written
    in the ROM on board the drive , one reason why controller boards can not be swiped between drives .
    I use HD Seninel , it's good , Life time licence , all free upgrades, Honest about what it can do , no false snake oil remedies .Visit there website and get all info about Hard drives.

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    No matter how you slice and dice it, the physical size of the disk cannot be increased. If you really want to make the HDD larger, I suggest you place it between two stone slabs and run over it with a tank or something similar to squish it out. In one sense, it's all in the math and how you "read" it. One kilobyte (1,000 kb) is actually 1,024 kb and it's been that way from the beginning apparently. Most of us have adjusted to that and frankly treat it as a non problem. There are real problems to deal with and this just ain't one of them.

It is what it is young Jedi and you can fuss and fume all you want about the unfairness and deceptive nature of how sizes are calculated and stated. The simplest answer is to just not worry about and get on with your computing life.