Hard Drive ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by spacednow, Mar 25, 2010.

1. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Here is the problem. I have a WD6401AALS hard drive that passes smart and extended test. Fails quick test for some unknown error. I did advance RMA from WD and they sent me a WD7501AALS. My bios sets the 640 to LBA mode. It sets the 750 to CHS mode (its "recertified" and has an ungodly spin up count). Has anyone else ran into this? The CHS mode is a little unsettling to me. Should I be concerned??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I have 3 sata hard drives, 2 operate in LBA mode. The 3rd operates in CHL3 mode. All 3 drives operate just fine. I would not worry if your hdd's are working well. FYI, my hdd that operates in CHL3 mode i modified. It was originally an external media drive, i removed the pcb board that converted usb to sata and used the ide connectors instead. Don't know if that caused the difference but performance is good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I just have my doubts about the whole thing. I bought the 640 gig for a reason. The recertified 750 they sent me doesn't doesn't make me happy. Its doesn't fare a whole lot worse in the tests I've ran, but it is somewhat slower and much louder.