Hard Drives And Cleaning Of The Laptop.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by karlo, Jan 31, 2012.

1. karlo

karlo MDL Junior Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Hello,

I have two laptops that have issues.

The first one, it's a hard drive issue. It's a NEO laptop. I think the hard drive crashed. It doesn't boot up. Whenever I try to turn it on, I think I keep on hearing the hard drive having difficulties reading the data.

The second one, it's a Sony VAIO laptop. And I'm using it right now. My hard drive is about to crash. What happened was, the laptop accidentally fell to the floor a few months ago. From then on whenever I use it, I can hear a bit of a noise from the hard drive whenever it tries to read/write and access some data. It's also slow.

Also most of the time, the laptop turns off by itself specially if the Power Management mode thing is in Balanced or High Performance. Otherwise, it should be on Power Saver mode most of the time.

Whenever I encode videos, it turns off by itself. Also I think it needs to be cleaned up, because I don't hear the fan that much.

I want the 7200 rpm and stable ones. I need a 300 GB and a 500 GB (or more).

I also need a device to read the old hard drive (VAIO hard drive) and transfer it to the new one then probably reformat the old hard drive and just try to store some files to it. Is it still okay to store files there? What do you think?

Please reply with the pricing of the above devices and a general laptop cleaning service. Just the estimate. Another thing it's free of charge like if you bought something that's "internally", generally the installation is free of charge, right?

2. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    #2 gabris[LT], Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    strange noise from hdd and it won't boot - physical HDD head damage. check in bios, it shouldn't see it or show 0mb capacity.
    another - seems motherboard got deformation and needs reflow of bridges and GPU, also HDD with bad sectors. how to check? after post screen hit F8 and select "Disable Automatic restart on system failure" - if it will restart, it means physical problems, even may be overheating. if BSOD - paste info from event viewer here. how to check HDD - Hirens boot CD, and with HDAT(easiest interface). prices - check local shops. about installation I don't know, but usually you bought - you replace. clean you can yourself, but service should take about ~20-40 bucks for cleaning, don't know these cost at all :D

3. karlo

karlo MDL Junior Member

Jan 20, 2010
    well yes it's a physical HDD damage. yes BIOS can't detect the hard drive.
    can you elaborate needs reflow of bridges and GPU? btw yes i know the HDD have bad sectors because when I try to use check disk (Scan disk) on windows 7, i saw a lot of bad clusters.
    it doesn't restart. it turns off by itself. completely blank screen. totally off. no power. OFF.

i can't clean my laptop by my self. lol. i guess i'm gonna let them clean it for me.

4. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    reflow can be made only in repair centers, it needs special tools, still you can try hit "disable automatic restart on system failure" because I suspect hardware problem with motherboard. reflow needs: hot air soldering station and flux. :) and a lot of tools to disassemble all laptop till only motherboard left :biggrin5:
    it seems like overheating or deformation of mobo because of fall :)

5. karlo

karlo MDL Junior Member

Jan 20, 2010
    upon checking, i already disabled the automatic restart on system failure thing.

i never see any blue screen or whatsoever. it just turns off specially whenever i'm rendering a video or converting the video.

if i have an antivirus software it turns off a lot.

6. karlo

karlo MDL Junior Member

Jan 20, 2010
    i need a device to read it since it's gonna be my extra hard drive since i'll be buying a new one.
    anyway i already bought a new one. the old hard drive where in i think it has bad sectors and is about to crash soon, it's like an external hard drive now.
    i bought a device called "enclosure" that comes with a case making it an external drive. everything is okay and fast, less turn off issues of the laptop although
    i'm still experiencing it. so i think i badly need to have my laptop cleaned up. when i saw the old hard drive, since it was taken out from my laptop,
    wow it's really dirty and full of dusts.