Hardware failure?? Laptop refuses to start. Help...

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Amateur_Linux User, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Amateur_Linux User

Amateur_Linux User MDL Junior Member

Nov 9, 2017
    My aged Dell XPS l502x has suddenly stopped booting. Occasionally it starts for a few seconds giving distorded blue screen with something written in bold white but alien language.

I think one or more hardware part of my laptop has malfunctioned but I can't figure out which one/s and how.

Are there any steps that can be tried by self to test issues with Graphics, Processor, Motherboard, Harddisk etc which may have misbehaved? Or do I need to go to repair shop?

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    First and probably the easiest thing you could try, is to see if you can access your bios and see if the hard drive is listed in there, if the drive is not listed then you may want to check that first

To access your bios, tap the F2 key when you start your pc, before windows attempts to load up

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ram issue or chipset needs reflow solder

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    sounds like is time for a new comp.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    What did this language look like? did it have 0's and X's with letters and other numbers?
    Like:0X000000-xxxxxxx?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Possibly a dying or dead GPU/ display(you've to test it with external display to eliminate that guess). I would suggest you reflow it and see if it'll works at all. If not ,you are good to go and get another system motherboard to save yourself of the stress.

7. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Looks like bad video card.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Also another possibility
    Check the video cable between the top screen half and the lower motherboard, If it looks gnarly. it
    may be the cable. Or a bad connection on the screen or the motherboard
    You can check this out by connecting a separate monitor and see what kind of video you get from that

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    +1 :)
    To separate GPU output from built in screen makes sense to figure if it's the GPU output or the internal monitor / cable to it.