Hardware replacement and 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by scaramonga, May 24, 2016.

1. scaramonga

scaramonga MDL Senior Member

Oct 27, 2012
    So.

What steps do I take now that I'm totally replacing my hardware?

As in, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD's/SSD's, the lot. Only things that will be original, are PSU and case, and I can't see Windows 10 remembering them? :biggrin:

Phone call to MS I guess?, or is there something easier?

I could use another Technet key, but I'd rather not.

2. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Call MS then
    You have no other option.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Microsoft defines that as a new computer and you're correct, Microsoft can't "remember" what's it has never seen before; hb860 is correct.

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I did replace my mother board and CPU an half year ago started up and not activated anymore ! So I called MS they simply tould me to buy an key in the store :eek: I said no way is there an other way to activate then ? Then they told me to go back to an earlier winddows activate and upgrade ! So figure it out maybe I had the wrong person on the phone that day or is that the policy they use for every body :tea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Been there; done that. I had one problematic computer that should have easily upgraded to Windows 10 ... but it didn't. So, I bit the bullet and started over by doing exactly what Microsoft told you to do. I had plenty of time so why not. The process worked perfectly and Windows 10 on that machine is running extremely well. The first time I tried to install 10 I did so via the suggested upgrade route by starting the installation from within Internet Explorer. The second time I used the downloaded Media Creation Tool. For all I know they may be the same. But I now use the tool exclusively and so far it's worked every time.

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #7 lobo11, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016