Has anyone custom built their own desk before?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Red Squirrel, May 27, 2010.

1. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel MDL Junior Member

May 6, 2010
    I've been thinking, later on when I get some powertools and setup a small shop in my garage, I'd like to build basic furniture, starting with a custom computer desk that is built to my needs. Has anyone ever done this before? I'd be curious to see others' designs.

My idea of a good computer desk is simplicity, just a big flat surface with lots of room, as well as zero clutter on the ground as far as wires go, making it easier to vacuum. I'd want everything raised and enclosed, the computer, the wires, etc. Also it would have it's own power outlets where needed, minimizing the need for reaching all over to plug things in. For example there would be 4 outlets right on the top for the monitors and possibly other equipment that sits on the desk such as speakers, printer, scanner and so on. Probably use GFCI in case I spill a drink. I would get/make shorter cords.

The enclosed portion would have an air tight access door so you can go manage the wires, get to the PC etc. The front would have an air filter and intake fan to take air and pass it through the enclosed area, so it can cool the computer itself, UPS, and other equipment then it would have an exhaust as far away as possible from the leg area. This would make it so there's less heat going to you, and keep components dust free.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I take it you mean premade power boards etc? Unless you are a licenced electrician doing your own wiring is illegal - well it is here anyway, I'm sure its the same in most cases. Even if its not illegal, if there is a fire or some other event caused from your handywork insurance companies won't pay out...

3. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Sort of.

I got my uncle to build me a large work bench in my room, I fix PC's on the side.

He works with kitchens so its just a set of drawers on one side and a metallic pillar on the other, with the back of it screwed or bolted onto a batton on the wall, good job like. Very sturdy and perfect height for me.
    Drilled 80mm holes for wires, nabbed a few desk hole filler things from work...Job done.

Easily done like if you know someone that works with wood.

4. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel MDL Junior Member

May 6, 2010
    Oh the electrical part is easy, I do all the electrical around the house and fairly familiar with the codes. It's legal here. A work bench is something else I may make, as I always get people asking me to fix their PCs. Currently I just have a small desk with a monitor on the wall, I'd make a bigger desk and have more power outlets and what not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kingedwards

kingedwards MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I have a friend that built a pretty cool custom computer desk. It is very basic looking as has the computer built inside of it. It is a perfect rectangle and in a kitchen table flat top kind of style. The top is plexiglass and underneath he built another wood layer that you look down into. He attached the motherboard and power supply and all component under the plexiglass so you look down at the computer and see everything working. The ends of the table are lighted fans and blowers for ventilation. He has a USB hub built in to the front of the desk along with two burner drives. It looks pretty sweet and only cost him like $50 to build. Very easy to upgrade the computer too.