has anyone found any time restrictions regarding the upgrade keys??

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mastershake, Nov 5, 2012.

1. mastershake

mastershake MDL Member

Aug 1, 2012
    i have not seen any and everyone says they are retail keys. i have a few codes left and want to use those for the rest of my family members who want it but i will not see some of them till prob march or so of next year and want to get them their keys and hang onto them till i go to visit and do the install. i do all their computer work when i got visit during the year to help them out. so like they are saying with wmc they are no good if not activated by a certain date is there any info relating to the win 8 upgrade keys?? im hoping not.. i have yet to find any.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AFAIK the Upgrade Key's must be activated latest at January 31. 2013, as off the infos available right know. Those may could change, who knows?!~

As it isn't a problem for to transfer the License of those to a different Computer and/or Owner, why not just activate them prior January 31. 2013 and trans fer the license later on to the final owner? I don't see any problem with that!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Actually, it is a problem. Transferring the licence for the WMC upgrade is not allowed, it is bound to one computer (not just in terms of activation, but legally speaking too). So Microsoft will not help you transfer them after Jan 13. Once you use up the upgrade key on one computer, that's it.

4. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #4 rrohela, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    I think he want to know about bought Upgrade keys not WMC Upgrade keys received free of cost. So time bomb of activation is only attached to WMC keys. Upgrade keys has no such condition.

5. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    You are right, the OP was asking about Win 8 Pro Upgrade.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You misinterpreted what I was writing: I talked about the Retail Upgrade Key but the WMC Key.

The rules for the WMC Key's differs a lot from Retail Upgrade Key's! This discussed in an other thread as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...