Has anyone tried downgrading AFTER the one month period?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ToniCipriani, Sep 20, 2015.

1. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    I know the official answer from Microsoft is that you cannot downgrade after the one month period, as the system automatically deletes the old Windows files, but has anyone tried downgrading via restoring an old image or using their factory restore discs back to 7 or 8.1? Did the activation on the old copy still worked? I'm only sure for Windows 7 if it's an OEM SLP activation it will work since it doesn't involve Microsoft servers, but what about retail keys and Windows 8? Will Microsoft refuse the activation of the old version?

Reason I'm asking is that I've upgraded my tablet (Asus VivoTab Note 8) to Windows 10, it had problems with the digitizer pen, so I had to downgrade back to 8.1, and that downgrade was not pretty, everything was corrupted. Was told the latest preview build fixes the pen problem, so this time round I cloned my 8.1 installation, and in case something happens I'll dump that back in. Only thing I'm not sure about is the activation if the one month expired. Answers are really mixed on this one, some say it will not activate.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you once activated already, a re-activation should work with no problems!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    I'm not talking about the 10, I'm talking about the 8.1 and 7. There have been talks about after the one month period, your original 8.1 and 7 key would be "consumed" and no longer activate.

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I did some fresh install's of my old windows 8 8.1 and activated fine BTW ;) 2 days ago for the record

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    OEM BIOS locked activation? Past the 1 month period?

6. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    I did upgrade from 7 to 10 month later wanted to downgrade and win 7 didn't work no more, called Microsoft and they simply were playing with me for hours in the end I gave up and used Daz loader

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    I was hoping to get some confirmation here so I wanted it to be up to get more feedback.

8. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Sorry for my late reaction but MAK key activation !

9. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Win10 Pro Retail to Win 8.1 Pro Retail remained activated.

I looked in the Win8.1 store and the activated machine was still there, so not surprised really.