Has anyone used the FOG cloning software?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by kingedwards, May 23, 2010.

1. kingedwards

kingedwards MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I am currently a Softthinks server admin and install various types of Windows based operating systems through a PXE server. I have compiled and created silent install bundle applications and a self installing drivers database for most computer and laptop systems. It works great, but every time I run the software I owe Softthinks $25. I image 100's of computers a day.

I have recently come across some free cloning software called FOG and was wondering if anyone has used this yet. I like how I can add other operating systems and not just Windows based ones. I image a lot of Apple and Sun systems and usually have to manually install them right now. I mostly wanted to figure out if I can still use the bundle apps and self installing drivers database, or if this software has to be set up for each brand / model system one at a time.

Also any suggestions for other free cloning software would be appreciated.

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    #2 sam3971, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
    @ kingedwards: I know from experience that cloning software basically takes a snapshot of your current OS and configuration and backs it up. The only issue was that it backs up the hardware drivers as well, yes you can restore the clone on any computer but you will also be restoring the drivers as well and if you have a system that has a driver that it does not need it might mess things up. I hope this helps

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kingedwards

kingedwards MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Well if I can not have a silent install applicator or self installed driver database attached then it is of no use to me. I work on 1000's of different systems with different hardware and do not have time to make an individual clone for each one of them. It looks like Softthinks is still the best bet. I guess that is why most major name brand manufacturers use it.