has anything changed with windos 8.1 or 10 in the last few months?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by skamath, Jun 14, 2016.

1. skamath

skamath MDL Junior Member

May 11, 2016
    I had this issue which couldn't be resolved and I have given up on it. So I have decided to let it be as it is and continue with the upgrade to win 10.

To the question, I did 2 clean installs of win 8.1 with bing on a 16 GB tab in the first instance I had 2+GBs free and in the second one hardly 250MB left. In both cases it was after the disk cleaning was done including the system files and that.
    What has changed in that 3- 4 weeks of it?

While that is in the air the win 10 upgrade using the media creation tool using via the tablet it needed a 16GB + USb device but when I used the tool to get the USB from another laptop it needed under 5GB space and used a 8GB USB!!

While I have the USB ready to upgrade the 16GB tablet the space constraint will not let me go ahead so I tried the clean install but the tablet will not boot past the manufacturer logo! Is there something else I need to do to clean install booting via the USB? The USB was created using the media creation tool for windows 10 home edition?

Mr T, Bat looks like more punishment :D

2. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. skamath

May 11, 2016
  4. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    #4 Bat.1, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    You can't just boot into the Win 8.1, then run setup.exe as Admin off the USB and do the upgrade that way ? How much occupied/free space You have on C: ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. skamath

May 11, 2016
    #5 skamath, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    (OP)
    It Is funny how this thing works. When go thru the win 10 icon on the bottom and hit upgrade now it wants me to add a storage device with 12 GB min space for which I used the 32GB micro SD and next it says it need an additional 2.94GB space in c: when I have 2.4GB left.

When I go thru the USB approach it wants a storage device with min 10GB and then it did not care about c: space. I used a 32 GB micro SD to start the process and now it says installing windows with it sitting on 0% in the ring and copying files has just crept up to 3% in last 3~4 hours. Is it creating windows.old on the SD card for rollback option? or did it need the USB stick connected to the hub? I started the install process and left it connected to the hub with full battery. When I came back after few hours the screen was off so I turned it back on and it stater with the logo and installing windows ring. So I connected the mains and left it alone and I see 3% increase in 4 hours.

The reason I ask if anything has changed is because the process has become more cumbersome than what it was the first time around.
    All I had to do was hit the upgrade now button and connect the micro SD card and just leave it one its own connected to the mains.

The only thing different on the device end is that micro USB OTG because of the touch screen stuff up. Luckily the hub has one more USB port for the installation as the first experience is not repeating anytime soon.

6. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    You need to change the name from Pendo Pad to Pendo Pain :D And I though My laptop was bad o_O I named it "Gremlin" after the Hell I went through going from Factory installed Win 8 to Win 8.1 November 2014 update. Been running error free since. Guess that's why I leave 8.1 as My daily driver and just multi-boot 7, 10, Linux Mint etc. using small SSDs in a caddy that replaced the optical drive.

Since You'd already done the upgrade it seems the best option would have been trying a Fresh install of Win 10 booting from the SD card if Your BIOS allowed that :confused: With the single micro USB port it's got to be a Nightmare since You're using it for the install and the power needs to remain plugged the entire time during the upgrade. :death: That might be the reason, or Not :confused: that You get such conflicting results ?? Not sure what Hub You're using and I don't have any experience with them anyway, but I know the charge circuits on the Pads don't allow a lot of current flow. Like I posted before My Pad won't charge when it's turned on, only maintain the charge.

I helped upgrade a few phones and it was really slow (slow like 12-14+ hours) since the windows old and recovery files were all written to the SD card.

7. skamath

May 11, 2016
    Persistence sure pays. I fixed the pad woohoo. Who knew? One YouTube comment sent me back to whirlpool forums and in that post from last night did the trick .he had a driver folder in his list which on a whim I installed and restarted the unit and yeah. Glutton for punishment is not a sin after all

8. skamath

May 11, 2016
    few things I noticed in this journey which still remains a mystery, maybe because I didn't ask you good folks out here. The device still shows limited touch but now instead of 5 it shows 10points? Points really don't matte much but limited touch? What is the difference between limited and full touch support?

While using windows update to upgrade to 10 as a last resort it shows windows developer preview instead of win 10 home why? Although I haven't updated it, if I do will it show activate when online? Or it shouldn't matter as this device already had win10 at one stage?
    TIA for your time.

9. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  10. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    #11 Bat.1, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Man do I wish I had your patience :( Looks like Wifey's 10 inch Vulcan is going to hit the garbage can :weep: Had it set to auto install important updates and something in last Patch Tuesday's updates Crashed it :mad: I'll need to charge it (as usual) before I can see if it's repairable or not but I get a different message on every boot :confused: Sometimes it's upgrade failed, rolling back changes. Sometimes a Fatal Error. Other times something I think is preparing auto repair but it's in Spanish maybe (?) and has two options to choose. o_O Doesn't make a difference that I don't know what the options are since the touchscreen doesn't work to click them :eek: I'm beginning to wonder if it was a Failed Unwanted Win 10 upgrade :mad:

When I "Dock it" I can't even read the SD card anymore o_O I always had problems seeing the internal drive but not the SD card :eek: Guess I'll have to pull it and see if there's any GWX files on it :( Maybe it's a hardware failure, just seems like a funny coincidence if the hardware failed during a update :death:

UPDATE: Charged it for a while and all it does is attempt auto repairs for a second or two, makes a flash and shuts down :( Sometimes it flashes and shuts down right as the Brand name comes up. Don't have a multi port USB dock and not going to buy one just to work on it. I'll get another tablet first. Don't wanna go what You went through. Then again. Maybe if I think on it a few days. LOL

11. skamath

May 11, 2016
    el cheapo USB hub of ebay is what I used. May the patienc.....(ahem ahem) force be with you. :D
    you need any help lemme know ;) I can tell you a million things on what not to do :D

12. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Don't know why I keep thinking it's a 10 inch when it's really 8 inches. :confused: Hey maybe that's why My carpenter work quality has been so bad lately o_O Been lying to My Wife so long about deleted :eek: I'm also probably not thinking too straight because I'm frustrated with the thing, plus it's the Weekend :p I am starting to think after 300 or more attempts that automatic repair just isn't going to work :death:

13. skamath

May 11, 2016
    On that note does size matter? ;) ;D looks like it does. Liar Liar pants on fire :biggrin:

14. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Hey it ain't Bats fault the rest of the World uses that metric system thingy so Bat's Wife doesn't have any idea just how long 10 inches is :confused:

I declare it Bricked by Windows Updates :mad: Looks like unless I get a multi-port USB hub there's no way I can get into the BIOS and do a repair or reinstall :( If the screen wasn't too scratched I'd go that way, but since it's messed up I decided to look at getting another tablet. Screen protector too. That's where I really started getting confused :weep: Sorry Apple, as much as I love My Wife there's no way I'll pay what a iPad costs :death:Only reason She has a iPhone 4S is it was given to Her when the ios 9 upgrade made it too slow for Her friend to use. It's been running Great since 9.2.1 though :D *Did take Me over 6 Hours and even having to turn off the password in My Modem to upgrade the first time*

So it becomes a Windows versus Android decision. Starting with which Windows :confused: Going with a 8.1 Tab I'd most likely be installing 100+ updates being careful not to install what'll upgrade the OS to Win 10, but then buying a Win 10 Tab this close to the Anniversary Upgrade doesn't make any sense either :eek:

So now I'm considering either getting a Android tablet, or just waiting until the new Win 10 Models come out in the Fall. o_O She couldn't be lucky enough for Apple to issue an upgrade that'd "Snail" the iPads and then maybe someone give Her one :eek:

15. skamath

May 11, 2016
    First of all thanks for the apple comment. I hate them with passion. Stealing all good stuff from others and giving it their own name.

and you would be right there in a way when you say waiting for win 10 model after the anniversary update but isn't it like there are new models on a regular basis which outshines the previous model in more ways than one? At this rate most people will be waiting I suppose. :D
    I was going to get the 950xl until one of my indian cousins in hardware and it working in intel suggested to wait it out as the 950xl will be the last of them Lumia models made to work with win 10 which actually doesn't do it justice.

As per his insider knowledge there is a better intel phone coming from MS panoy team which introduced the latest and the best surface and this phone was built from scratch by MS with win 10 in mind.

16. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    I don't hate Apple just think They're Overpriced, but then I also think the Microsoft Surface Pro models are too.

Searched again today for a few more hours and just can't find My USB to micro USB adapter. It's Somewhere :confused: so guess I'll find it one day when I'm looking for something else. Though if I could get a wired keyboard connected I might be able to get into the BIOS and hopefully... Well, the models I've been looking at have a regular USB port too.

With a phone the size of the 950 XL You really don't need a tablet :biggrin: Because My Lumia 635 only has 512MB of RAM, M$ won't try to force the upgrade to Win 10, well they haven't yet. I'll replace it when it just doesn't work anymore :biggrin: But I HATE phones so much that could be sooner than later :p Damn people who live with a phone in their hand need to learn that if someone doesn't answer a call or text in under two minutes :eek: they might already be on the phone with a important call, or doing something else that can't be easily stopped. So there's No reason to call or text 20 times in the next 10 minutes :mad:

17. skamath

May 11, 2016
    same here with my 1020 MS will not upgrade it win 10 because of insider complaints on performance. I don't mind not having the upgrade for more reasons than one plus there is one crack on my screen that runs across the face of it just like a smiley ) it looks like the crack is not right through the glass just the top half of the surface. The repair guy quoted $200 approx to fix it but then again he said continue using it till it is not usable anymore and then replace the glass as it is with the digitizer. He was so sure that the glass is going to crack even more and it has been more than a year now and the crack hasn't spread. Go Me!!

I don't think I need anymore devices as of now as I don't know which one to pick and use. I just stick to my HP convertible everyday and the pendo pad was just kinda a battle that I needed being the glutton that I am ;) haven't used it since it has been fixed and the other laptop in the bedroom on the floating shelf connected to a wall mounted 64" HD TV is just gathering dust. I don't know how many more win 10 updates are pending on that one :D

18. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    That Gorilla glass is some tough $h!t ! I have two "chips" on my 635. I was doing some carpenter work and Bat.2 answered the phone for Me but didn't bring the holster back. So I put the phone on a shelf and it fell face down of course where there just happened to be two wood screws laying instead of the rest of the floor where there weren't any screws. :eek: The glass is actually a separate piece bonded on the LCD display, but can't be changed by Joe Average o_O Hmm I think if Anybody could do it at home, it'd be You :D

Spent the morning yesterday on the riding mower, then the afternoon playing with the new Win 10 build so I missed My nap. If I don't take a nap, I can't sleep at night :( Hoping to get out again today and suffer in the heat and humidity again :death:At least the mosquitos haven't been too bad.

19. skamath

May 11, 2016
    I have looked up the videos on glass separation and that but the guys at the shop advised me not to go ahead. The heat gun may ruin the digitizer he said and the thin wire used to separate the glass will probably damage it too. I was so close to convincing myself to change the glass but then stopped in my tracks. I don't need that kinda punishment. ;) :D Although the thought had crossed my mind that the worst case scenario if I couldn't change the glass then the entire digitizer will be replaced and I get a brand new screen but it wasn't worth the moolah spent on it.

On the night side ;) I thought bat is a nocturnal animal :p. Heat and humidity is far better than the near frigid temperature in aus atm.