Has your connection been dropping lately?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by oroku, Aug 14, 2015.

1. oroku

oroku MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2011
    #1 oroku, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    It seems like since I've installed Windows 10, my internet connection drops more frequently to where the modem needs to be unplugged/plugged to get the connection again.

Has this been happening to any of you? This type of issue usually occurs when downloading torrents, which I haven't done in quite a while. Considering that the issue at face value level seems one in the same, (while i'm thinking of it) when you're downloading torrents why does the connection drop and you'd either have to unplug/plug the modem to get the connection back or pause the torrent and then the connection just happens to kick back on a couple minutes later?

When it comes to the torrent issue, I noticed if I lower the maximum number of connected people to a small number, the connection seems less likely to drop.

Thank you.

Edit: Thought it would be smart to share a little bit about my connection: I on a Linksys Router WRT54GS and I have a cable modem, service is provided through Time Warner subsidary.

2. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    My connection never dropped since I am using Windows 10, but I am still using a DSL modem, no WLAN, no router.
    Neither problems with torrent/surfing at the same time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Arnie25

Arnie25 MDL Junior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    The only issue I have with the Network is if I put the Laptop into hibernation. On waking the Laptop the Network is disconnected. Reconnecting doesn't work, I have to repair the connection to get it back.

4. rvnlord

rvnlord MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    I am using old d-link router and yes, the problem isn't very frequent but, it is noticable, I initially thought it is VPN servers issue, but then I tried without VPN.

There are so many problems with this system I don't even know where to start, I am trying to hunt them down one by one but some of them are really hard to fix.

5. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    This sometimes happens when you dual boot with both OS's on same disk:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    cable connection, no router here and connected using network cable. all good here

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I don't know what the "so many errors" would be, I don't have them, try running in ADMIN Cmd Prompt sfc /scannow :D

8. rvnlord

rvnlord MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2013
    I didn't say so many errors, but so many problems.

1. empty (without names) special folder duplicates (5) keeps reappearing after every update, I have to erase them using registry
    2. I am unable to move or rename folders after every update unless I restore folder descriptions from backup (didn't have time so far to compare both registry branches)
    3. Weird small icon size on list/details view
    4. xyplorer crashes when i enter settings
    5. Visual Studio 2015 font rendering is wrong
    6. font rendering on custom DPI is wrong - I disabled custom dpi scaling, beside that many apps are displayed with issues
    7. When using 110% DPI almost every game need to be set to compatibility mode
    8. Extremely long boot time
    9. I am unable to change user image via settings (I can do it only manually)
    10. Veracrypt dismount some volumes present on external devices randomly
    11. Notepad++ crashes randomly on closing
    12. etc...

And well sfc /scannow reinstalled only removed packages, everything else is perfectly fine.

And the worst part is that I got ORIGINAL key, I actually bought windows 8 and it was a BIG MISTAKE.

Have a good day :).

9. pf100

pf100 MDL Addicted

Oct 22, 2010
    #9 pf100, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015

I think the bigger issue here is that the drivers aren't really ready yet, or the OS itself for that matter. I tried different known working drivers (W8.1), and the latest drivers from the vendor's website, and MS update's wireless driver works best for me. Problems abound not unlike when XP launched. Just different problems but a lot of the same. Oh, and since XP onward I've always limited my maximum torrent clients to 50 and never had a disconnect problem because of the torrents themselves since.

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012

In ADMIN Cmd Prompt Type
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    When you use the /CheckHealth argument, the DISM tool will report whether the image is healthy, repairable, or non-repairable. If the image is non-repairable, you should discard the image and start again. If the image is repairable, you can use the /RestoreHealth argument to repair the image.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Press enter on keyboard, wait for it to finish