Have 6 GB Ram, Seen as 10GB but 'Usable RAM' decreased from 6GB to 5.94GB

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mateuszd, May 30, 2010.

1. mateuszd

mateuszd MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Hello. I have one of the Rackable System Servers and I have recently upgraded its RAM from 2 GB to 6 GB. It shows "installed 10GB usable 6GB" RAM but, after a few unexpected restarts, the value dropped down to 5.94GB usable. I have also noticed quite high temperatures in processor areas, next to the ram sticks.

Is is possible for a RAM stick to actually lose some memory (maybe because of overheating)?
    What could be other cause for that? The 0.6 GB(that was there) is shown as BIOS reserved but it was not before.

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Its either a bios or RAM compatibillity issue i'd say.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mateuszd

mateuszd MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    The BIOS in this motherboard is the newest one, I had to flash it because this strange motherboard did not want to work with Windows 2008 R2 (Not ACPI Compatible problem). I've also noticed that the temperatures on the sensor (AUX) in Everest range at about 75-80 degree C. Way too high, aren't they?

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Very strange indeed and yes i would say 75-80 C is pretty hot too. Have you run any test on the ram ?

5. mateuszd

mateuszd MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I had one the before I upgraded but not after (I do not have a monitor at the moment). I think I should just wait for a few more days and see if it still decreases or just forget about the problem and live with it.
    What would you do? I'll try to decrease the temperatures somehow, maybe by increasing air ventilation in the room.

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Well i would be running tests on the ram and i sure wouldnt be letting the ram work at around 70 80 C for too long. :)