Have 8.1 with Bing on my Tablet, want to replace with 8.1 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Katylar, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Katylar

Katylar MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2008
    Hi guys!

I just bought a tablet with Windows 8.1 with Bing installed. However, I was hoping to use it as a kiosk, so I was disappointed to know that this edition is CORE, and therefore doesn't have the Assigned Access feature that I need.

So I was hoping to find out if there's a painless way to change my edition via a crack; or at the very least enable Assigned Access.

Given that it's a tablet, there's a larger chance of bricking it so I would like to keep things simple if possible. Formatting the entire thing and installing a fresh ISO seems dangerous.

My theory is that I can find a PRO or ENTERPRISE key somewhere, do the 'Change Product Key' step that's built into Windows, and somehow install a crack or patch that will prevent the OS from either figuring out that the key is pirated, or whatever.

Any thoughts?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Katylar

Katylar MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2008
    Hi!

I read that post, but it seems to say that I need a legit pro key.

So let's say you don't have a legit pro key, is there any way to use a one of those distributed pro keys to affect the change, then apply a solution (like AutoKMS) that would stop Windows from checking if the key is legit?

I'm asking because I already paid good money for my 8.1 core, and I would very much like to avoid spending cash again to change it to pro. I just need one feature (Assigned Access). Further, we plan to do this on 5 separate units, so 5 new pro licenses is a bit over our budget.

We plan for the units to be used in a LAN setup only, so we'll never have them to connect to the internet once they've been deployed. So hopefully that helps.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You could try the generic Install P-Key up front and use MTK later on. If the generic Install P-Key is accepted, than it's just fine!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    FYI, some tablets come with Core which be upgraded to Pro, some come with Bing and can't.
    If you use the generic key as Pisthai says at the 'Get More Features...' link it will either pass or fail.
    If it upgrades use MTK or something to activate.

If it fails, you'll need to install another version of Windows, but that's not easy as Tablets use Wimboot. :(

6. Katylar

Katylar MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2008
    Yeah, my tablet has Windows 8.1 with Bing.

I'd still like to try, though. If I do end up failing the key-check, it's not going to affect my current license though, right?

Thanks!

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I just upgraded my 8.1 with Bing tablet to 8.1 Pro, but I fully wiped and reinstalled the whole OS using a MicroUSB to USB adapter

All went great, I remembered to backup all drivers first, but forgot one thing, the software that controls auto-rotation, so now I have to manually rotate the screen because I have no idea what the software was

8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
  9. Katylar

Katylar MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2008
    Seems like a good idea. How did you go about backing up all the drivers?

10. samir28

samir28 MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2015
    You May Called up the Customer care and ask for drivers or there is a tool i had used few month before called screen rotator search on google for it you may find it

11. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    When I tried this, I just went to "Add Features to Windows 8.1" and plugged in the KMS Client key for Windows 8.1 Pro. Or I may have ended up using a real 8.1 Retail key (with network disabled) and then replaced with KMS Client key after it was upgraded. I don't remember at this point. Whichever, it worked fine.

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    KMS:GVLK can't used for upgrading; the second method actually works.

13. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    That must have been it then. I would have remembered next time I try it. :)

Just be sure to disable the network so you don't accidentally activate the retail key which you intend to replace.

14. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Myrrh

Thats why we should use generic retail keys.

:D

15. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I've worked on four Tablets so far.
    An ASUS which had Core which upgraded just by adding a Retail Pro key.
    A HP Stream 7 which had Windows 8.1 Single Language with Bing, that wouldn't take a pro key. It needed a new install, so we went with Windows 10.
    A Bush and a Linx both had Windows 8.1 with Bing, I think it was the original Windows 8 Pro key that worked on one of them.

16. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Single Language can't upgrade out of SL, and the highest SKU available in SL is Core.