Have I killed yet another pc?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ryouga, Jul 23, 2014.

1. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I have a Coolermaster cpu water cooling unit on my pc but the design of the mount was so bad that it was always had bad pressure on the cpu, not enough to raise temps much i.e about 32 idle for a i7 but sometimes I would open side of pc and tighten the screws a little and temps would drop a few degrees.

Today I decided to do a proper job of the install but could not for the life of me get the 4th corner in(one of the biggest problems with the unit) so decided to remove the pipes but was careful, still got a few tiny drips in corner of board so decided to be safe and remove board from case and wipe it down and inside case.

When I put it back together unit is failing to get any power, just seems to not even get that far.

I am unsure if it is power supply or the board since when I put the power cable in back of any pc normally it makes a slight sound and to me that means its getting power but with this its nothing, there is even a power button on the board itself so the front panel ones are not needed.

I removed all pci cards even graphics card and all optical drives.

Not even turning on.

Wanted some advice on this.

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    There could be a short somewhere which is stopping it from powering up.
    Maybe the power supply has died.
    If your liquid cooler is a closed unit I would chuck it out if it's leaking.
    You can check the power supply by removing/unplugging it from the system & shorting 2 pins. I think green+black will turn it on. Google 1st to make sure!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    This morning it booted first time though I had nothing plugged in i.e graphics card of pci cards and left it on about 10 minutes then it shut itself down.

After leaving it off a while I tried again and got beeps indicating ram error so reseated ram and graphics card and after a few attempts it worked, then tried it with optical drives and it worked then wireless card and it worked and finally other pci cards.

When the final pci card was in it seemed to stall on bios screen so removed the card I think caused it and now it gets power for no more than 2 or 3 seconds at boot, it does start loading the bios but then stops so indicates to me something like dead pump or something shorting out.

Any advice?

4. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    #4 RawData, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    No clever tricks to advise, but I would check the PSU or try another one. They are not eternal and they may die fast or slowly.
    If PSU is not to blame, you may have to find motherboard replacement. Still, the PSU would be my first suspect.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...