Have ultimate x64 RTM (w/ loader) considering official Home

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by regal, Nov 8, 2009.

1. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I have been running the x64 Ultimate RTM using a loader for a few months now and really like it. However I am just paranoid that one day MS will crack down and I wont be able to get the new SP or updates. The Slic Bios for my MB (IP35 Pro) has been posted here to have issues.

So I ordered the $29 student Home Premium and am considering installing it. What will I lose by using home vs Ultimate ? My system has 8GB of ram which is the max the MB will allow, I can't think of any reason I really need the Ultimate version but wanted to check here first.

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    The only item I see that I may need is WinXP mode, however I have no idea if any of my programs are using it now. Is there a way to check to see if I am using XP mode on any of my apps now?

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    XP mode would give the window frame the classic blue XP theme. Compatibility mode however is something totally different, every OS has that :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    So odds are I haven't ever used the Xp mode? How do you invoke it?

6. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
  7. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I don't think MS can detect this kind of solution since it involves official OEM keys which could cause problems for legitimate users.
    So SP updates shouldn't be any kind of problem at least this is what I think, I'm not worried next year when SP1 comes anyway and even if it indeed does happen, I still have an original OEM license I bought when I rebuilt my rig.