Have you ever had a forced update after disabling updates?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pf100, Feb 12, 2017.

?

Have you ever had a forced update after disabling updates?

1. Yes

31.7%
  2. No

68.3%
  1. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #1 pf100, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
  3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #3 lobo11, Feb 12, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #5 lobo11, Feb 13, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I don't believe in disabling updates, so I shouldn't really be posting here. The reason I do, is to say that some updates have undone some settings I had made and also reinstalled apps, e.g. OneDrive, that I had uninstalled.

But I do not consider this sufficient reason for disabling updates. In fact, when MS stopped support of my old XP, I carried out a registry hack to continue getting updates meant for the embedded version but which still worked without a hitch.

6. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    That's related to my point here. Future updates may make registry tweaks and Group Policy settings that allow manual updating useless. I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't want Windows checking for updates or installing updates while I'm fragging demons in Doom 4.

I find fragging demons sufficient reason to disable Windows checking for updates period. I want to do it manually on my time when I'm ready. And I did the registry hack to continue getting updates for XP too before I finally stopped using XP forever.

7. Never had a forced update although I've not disabled updates, just installing them when I want thru metering technique + WUMT.

8. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #10 pf100, Feb 13, 2017
    (OP)
    You see, I think this is the best method except for a few problems, and I get the feeling that no one is seeing my point here. You have to use a setting to meter ethernet and wireless connections manually. Microsoft has proven to change settings and tweaks with successive updates. I get updates, that's what. I don't completely trust metering to work forever. The next update could make your ethernet or wifi connection un-metered. I want absolute, guaranteed, never changing, never checking or installing updates under any circumstances ever. I play games a lot, and checking for updates sucks way too many resources. And what about if when RS2 or some other update comes out and they do some stupid crap that resets all your connections to unmetered and the setting for ethernet or wifi metering has been magically turned off. So, you know how the first time you connect to a network, ethernet or wifi, Windows asks if you want public or private connection? That's what I want to see with metered connections. Windows should ask every time you connect to a network with a new adapter, whether ethernet or wireless, if you want a metered connection or not, and if they do that then I'll drop this whole line of reasoning.

9. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Please help submit useful information on methods of doing fully manual updates that never even checks for updates that didn't work in this thread.

10. Just a one time process this and took about 2-3 mins at max, and it automatically sets any new connection(wifi/ethernet included) to be metered. have personally checked it with 3-different wifis.

Like said before any new conn. is already set to be metered. U don't specify the network conn to be metered u specify the network type to be metered and this is what makes each and every conn to be metered.

This has worked for me ever since. Ofcourse no one knows the future. Nothing but change is permanent. Who knows what may happen in the long run but remember in the long run we are all dead. :p

The only method which can with 101% certainity that will not check for updates is for you to be offline and not using a net conn at all. Rest the same holds true for all the methods.

Part of my reason to set my all my net conn types to metered is that I can chose when to install updates. It's not the updates that are the problem for me it's just how they are processed and shipped that's the problem. We here have a slow net conn(very slow indeed). And if windows does it updates then u can say i cannot browse the net for a long long tym. Thus, it helps me to install them in my free time.

Personally, I wouldn't want that, I'm happy with the set once style but it's my personal choice. And I would like it to respect my opinion which it has been doing since the early version of W10.

11. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #13 pf100, Feb 13, 2017
    (OP)
    I stand corrected, and thank you for your input, you make some good points. I have edited my post to correct the errors you pointed out. But still, the point of this thread is methods of doing fully manual updates that never even checks for updates that didn't work. I'm doing information gathering to be used in the future. Please understand I'm not trying to be argumentative or confuse the issues.

12. no issues or argument here
    and this was my original statement to topic in ques.

My apologies if you think i went off-topic. :)

13. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Correcting my errors is not off-topic. Stating a method that works is. Since you had no choice but to mix the two together to get your message across, I'll say you weren't off-topic.

14. NeXtStatioN

NeXtStatioN MDL Senior Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Hello,
    personally my computer was raped by M$ using Windows 10 Free Upgrade :D

Nah, back to the topic, no, I never got any settings changed like this.
    I believe they may be changed only when a major build rolls out (in an upgrade-style installation) but I don't know.
    Will see with the Creators Update :D

15. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    That's sorta the whole point of this thread, to find out when updates break manual update methods and how they are broken.

16. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #18 pf100, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  17. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    The topic of this thread is to help submit useful information on methods of doing fully manual updates that never even checks for updates that didn't work. Please, can we stay on topic?

18. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I have nothing against manual updates, except they are less convenient. But I fail to see how they can avoid the problems I have e.g. with undoing some of my settings. I mean they don’t tell you that they’re going to do that, or any other side effects. So you still have to check your settings.

Consequently, I find it more convenient to let updates work automatically and then check my settings.