Have you experience freezing?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by carmz, Mar 7, 2014.

1. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi,can i ask some help have you experience in your windows 8 keeps freezing ?...Because whenever I open my browser firefox, it will keep not responding after a few seconds or 1 min...Sometimes when I open my computer or opening folder it will freeze,and aslo if i will click the icon in my system tray it will also freeze in a few seconds....Is this related to my antivirus?I use symantec endpoint protection version 12.1.2014.4013...but i think this is not related to my antivirus because i tried to uninstall and then I am having the same issue...If you asked me the condition of my hard drive well it is okay because I bought this few weeks ago and i tested the hard drive conditions using seatools and it passed...

please help me.

Thank you in advance.

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    i'm experiencing such behavior, but only when using Opera browser (rare times, freeze doesn't last more than 20 seconds)
    and this was the situation for me since Windows 8 (which it was much worse and much freezing)

i don't use any AV

3. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    #3 lievre, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    First of all Windows defender and Antivirus are not doing well together. If i were you, i will get rid of my antivirus. Second, Firefox is a little bit slow to open with windows 8.1, normal. Third you should check all your drivers. Are they all up to date? Try a program like Advanced System Optimizer to optimize your driver.

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    why you don't want install any AV?

5. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    I checked in the Device Manager but there is only one has yellow tag "coprocessors"....what about the System Optimizer?..Is it okay to use tune up utilities?
    Does my computer will not harm from viruses and attacks if I will uninstall the symantec AV?

Thank you in advance.

6. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    #6 lievre, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Periodic freezing is usually a result of a program blocking data from being transferred.
    If I had to guess, I'd say your Symantec is blocking the various data read functions being called by windows and other programs.
    My recommendation is to remove it, and learn to use Windows Defender.

8. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    @murphy, Is it okay to install tune up utilities?

Thank you inadvance.

9. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You can, but they won't do you any good.
    They like to boast about fixing registry errors, but usually they just fix file associations and uninstalled program keys.
    While I have no problem removing uninstalled program keys, they do try to give the impression that they are drastically fixing your system.
    In reality there are like hundreds of thousands of registry keys and fixing like 100 of them is nothing.

There are some tune up programs that actually modify the priority on running programs to make them run smoother, but that's more of a hardware problem than a software problem.
    Older cpus didn't handle their multi-tasking as well as newer ones seem to.

As far as modifying which services run and don't run, I really wouldn't play with it. Windows has a habit of re-cataloging every darn thing in your system when you mess with any of the nuts and bolts.

10. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    In case of such problems, did you try to disable Harware Acceleration in Firefox Settings ('Advanced Settings')?

11. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    No problem with this program. Ccleaner is better. And if you install Advanced System Optimizer, there is no need for TU or CCleaner. And ASO will find all the update for your computer, even your coprocessors.

Lievre

12. eddy64

eddy64 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2013
    sometimes if the documents folder has been moved it can cause freezing for a few seconds/minute.

do you get the explorer.exe server execution failed message?

13. syedibr

syedibr MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2014
    #15 syedibr, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    After updating to U1 I had freezing problems. Tried a lot of options and tweaks. None worked. When ever I ran utorrent windows froze every now and then. I went back from version 3.4 to 3.32. Everything works perfect. So, try downgrading your browser / other software to previous versions which work fine.

My windows is
    Windows 8.1 Pro 6.3.9600.17031 x64

If this doesn't workout then disable windows search service which indexes files and folders.

I personally use WinUtilities pro in addition to ccleaner. Speeds up my sytem after defrag of 1. files / folders and 2. registry.

14. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Are you using NVIDIA GPU.
    Go to the NVIDIA forum and you will find a huge number of posts on firefox freeze/crash which sometimes caused windows to freeze too. This was more of a problem on 4xx/5xx GPU and newer drivers (>314.22)
    Apparently, NVIDIA has released newer drivers from 331.82 onwards perhaps which fix this issue.
    The previous workaround was to go to NVIDIA settings/program settings and click to select max. performance for individual browsers.