Have you trust in free OS?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by free1975yuly, Feb 26, 2014.

1. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    What I mean: These Linux distro's are free but I have no trust in them...that I am,that I believe...I have no trust when is about to make online payments or Internet Banking or things like that.I have grow up with Windows OS and I think that with genuine Windows and up-to-date antivirus and be aware to that I browsing this OS is enough safe to make things descriebed above.
    Those Who will combat this point of view please add arguments.

2. Knives*

Knives* MDL Member

Sep 21, 2013
    #2 Knives*, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    Linux is open-source. The world has access to the source code. Code changes and suggestions from the public go through various levels of approval to ensure they are safe and stable.

Windows uses proprietary software and is closed-source. The world cannot see the source code so the world cannot know how secure or trusted it is.

Since 1998 (or 1999), the NSA has been granted access to any Windows computer in the world remotely. They can literally connect to your computer if they want to, as long as you're running Windows. Even your hardware components may have been compromised with custom hardware and/or software including firmware from the NSA that cannot be easily removed, if at all. It goes against the U.S. constitutional rights/constitutional privileges. The NSA has admitted breaking the law at least 3,000 times. Since they get funded by the U.S. government (tax payer money), they keep on going, taking a proactive approach on potential terrorism by violating the public's privacy on a global scale.

I figure that using Ubuntu is just one step closer to security and privacy over using Windows, but there are things in Windows that I cannot easily do it Ubuntu (setting up a web server). Plus, certain proprietary software I added in Ubuntu is not completely up to date or as good as the Windows versions (e.g. Adobe Flash, AMD drivers, etc.).

3. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    #3 Superfly, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    #4 Paiva, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    @free1975yuly,

You touched on the most important point.

Nothing in the world is totally secure.

But when comparing "Windows vs. Linux", Linux wins. Why?

1- Most viruses (keyloggers, trojans, spyware) are disseminated in Windows. ( Linux +1)

2- Linux is developed and updated constantly by a huge community. (Linux +1)

3- The Linux source code is available for study. (Linux +1)

" Still continue in Windows. "

Keep in mind that the larger data servers use Linux. :rolleyes:

Only use Windows is bad. You have a great car going slowly. :p

5. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Thanks to all answers,people:worthy:.My concerning about Linux&Co is from that almost nothing in the World is for free...I cannot believe that are uninteresed programators working for free...:eek:.
    I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 14.04 x64 and is run faster than other OS...:p

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Best programs are free. Just because something is mainstream, does not mean it is good or secure, it only means that it is used by many people (for whatever reason)

7. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    LOL, yup the source may be tamper-proof, but that does not prevent malware from attaching itself to the exposed bits,,,:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    So nothing in the World can be 100% sure,just is by the user's brain...

9. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I use now pcbsd but I have not courage to make sensyble things on it...like Internet Banking or to write down my personal infos..That am I.:eek:

10. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I trust free OS especially from MS. Free with daz loader or Microsoft Toolkit.

11. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    But he is not free. You do not have the codes of the system.
    The most we can do is hack the system. :p