Having New SSD, what do you think ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ForrestGump, Oct 24, 2018.

1. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    #1 ForrestGump, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Everything else may be true, but startup 13 seconds not possible. This should be about 25-35 seconds.Then it's plausible.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    it's true my friend, why would i make that up ?
    you measure the time between the moment when you push on the power button and the moment when the desktop appears and it is exactly 13 seconds in my case.
    i've just done the test again and it is 13 seconds AGAIN.
    i have win7 installed on my machine.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    OK, but startup time is specific term and for example, if You have Advanced Systemcare or Wise Care 365 installed, then there is such an option i ncluded and You can take an average value, it's trustworthy.

5. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Did u buy it used or refurbished is mark in the back.

6. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    it's new, i never buy used stuff.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    There's too many different variables. Things in the start list, your antivirus, chipset/memory and cpu can all affect the start up time. Your pc's set up will be different than another persons pc.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #8 Yen, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    13 seconds to boot w7 is a real and good value. I have needed 10 seconds here (company) to login screen (it's a network client), just measured it.
    I do not know your SSD itself...

I started to use my first SSD in the year 2010. It had been the most impressive power gain I ever had when changing hardware.
    Last summer I replaced my last HDD and now I am running SSDs only. (PC at home. My latest is a Samsung EVO 860)

The entire boot time strongly depends on the EFI (BIOS), before it calls the bootloader...

The boot process of w7 itself (real OS boot time) does not change much concerning configuration of the OS / installed applications. I'd say +/- 2 seconds

The SSD itself and the mainboard's chipset determine the speed most.

Today's NAND speeds are that fast that SATA SSDs can be limited by the bus speed itself (600 Mb/s).
    Speeds strongly depend on kind of data blocks I/O.....
    Good SATA SSDs toady have an average R/W speed of 530-570 MB/s

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I disagree, an antivirus can add quite a bit of boot up time.
    How important is boot up time anyway? It's not like we start our pc several times a day, most may do only one boot up in the a.m. and leave it on til the end of the day.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    More than 2 seconds (20%) on SSD? Neither McAfee Virus scan nor AVG does...must be a real heavy security suite then...

Well boot time is just like another bench mark value and can be consulted to make a statement about SSD performance.

11. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    #11 ForrestGump, Oct 29, 2018
    (OP)
    To be clear, 13 seconds is the timing where the desktop just appears after welcome screen but if i include the time where wifi or ethernet taskbar icon finishes loading, the timing reaches 20 seconds (7 seconds of loading).
    If you have a win7 machine with SSD, could you please measure the time between the moment when you push the power button and the moment when the desktop appears but you include the time when wifi or ethernet taskbar icon are completely loaded. I'm curious to compare your timing with mine.

in 2010, i bet SSD were really expensive at that period of time.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, but it is still working. :)

When I decided to build a new PC in the year 2010 I was convinced a system SSD would rock...more than to buy the very best I7 and more than to buy the latest Nvidia GPU and more than to install maximum of RAM....

And I was right....a SSD had an huge impact on the entire feeling of speed/performance...

The OCZ Vertex 2 100GB was around 450 Euro. OCZ is no more (links to Toshiba now), but the SSD still works. I use it to boot w7 at home.

13. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    #13 ForrestGump, Oct 29, 2018
    (OP)
    450 euros for a capacity of just 100 GB, that's insane but at that time SSD were considered as something huge and very few people can afford to pay at this price.

what about the timing test that i mentionned in my previous message ? :)

14. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Small world, my 1st SSD was a OCZ Agility 3 - 60GB for $100. USD
    I installed it to render my Adobe Premiere Pro videos, definitely faster than the WD 7200 RPM spinner I had before for that task.
    It still is working too :)

15. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    #15 ForrestGump, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    (OP)
    Looking back to what you said in this post, i know why you had a doubt about the timing i mentionned (13 seconds).
    This timing is done between the moment when i push on the power button and the moment when login screen appears.
    If i time the moment when i click on "restarting" from windows session until the login screen , it reaches 31 seconds which corresponds to the time you mentionned (about 25-35 seconds).

16. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    This I believe and that is true. Good luck to You!

17. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @kaljukass: My startup time is around 12 seconds. With a mechanical drive, it goes to about 22 seconds.
    Plus, it's really noisy with a mechanical drive.

I agree with you when you say that there are other factors involved. I have a very fast CPU with a lot of RAM.

With a SSD, that makes all the difference. :)

18. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    12 seconds is the timing from pushing on power button until login screen.
    you have to time from "restarting" at windows session until login screen and you will have a more realistic timing.
    when doing it, could you post it here so i can compare it with mine ?

19. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    #19 MrG, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Here are mine from insider testing .rs5 & .rs6
    I always do restart timing after WU install, disk cleanup, 1st restart + let PC settle down.
    As you can see some builds are faster than others
    These are from Test Rig 1 w/ a Samsung 850 EVO SSD unless otherwise stated.
    It does include the time going through the Dual Boot menu which I hit "enter" when it pops-up.

Test Rig 1 specs.
    ASUS Z170M-E D3
    i3-6300 Core CPU @ 3.8 GHz
    1x8 GB Corsair DDR3 Memory (1600 MHz)
    500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
    250GB Samsung 960 (M.2) SSD

Restart times rs4 rs5 n rs6B.jpg

Edit: Added a screenshot w/ more details

20. Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2017
    Micron makes great memory, that drive should serve you well for some time. Congrats on the recent upgrade -- i considered grabbing a bunch of used Micron SSDs for my VMware compute host, but still hoping flash memory prices continue to drop. 500GB 860 EVOs are liek ~eighty bucks now, it's crazy. But ya, I've been using mostly Samsung SSDs in my desktop / consumer machines, as they tend to have those blazing fast read speeds.