Having to reload storages spaces after reformat

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by iPenguin02, Apr 15, 2014.

1. iPenguin02

iPenguin02 MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2013
    I just reimaged my server 2012 R2 on my C Drive. My D Drive is set in storage spaces as my NAS Drive, i did not touch it during the reimage. The Pool shows up in my Server Manager as already there. I was able to turn it online, but every time my server reboots i have to manually go in and turn it on. anyone seen this issue before?

2. Draker

Draker MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    No Auto Attach Fix when OS Re-Instantiated

It happened to me. If I remember correctly, when a virtual drive wakes to a different instance of the OS, the virtual is automatically set to read only, therefore no auto attach. WS just trying to protect the data.

To fix, remove the read only property on the virtual drive and attach virtual drive.
    h++p://windowsitpro.com/systems-management/q-after-i-reinstalled-windows-server-2012-my-storage-spaces-are-no-longer-writabl

After attach fix, check in a subfolder for a valid file. If only root seems to be not corrupt, then the version of Storage Spaces may need to be upgraded also via PowerShell command. If subfolder file good, then Storage Space upgrade not necessary.

3. iPenguin02

iPenguin02 MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2013
    How do i set the virtual disk to be false for manual attach? I cannot seem to put it correctly using the link below.

h++p://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848712.aspx

4. Draker

Draker MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    PowerShell Commands to Set ReadWrite True and AutoAttach True

Go to Server Desktop (Use Remote Desktop especially if Server is headless)

Start PowerShell (look down for > icon on taskbar)

At PS prompt, Enter
    Get-StoragePool

Check result displayed in PowerShell. IsReadOnly column should show False. If any True, then auto-attach will not occur on that StoragePool

To change IsReadOnly to False (so ReadWrite is True)
    At PS prompt, Enter
    Get-StoragePool | Where-Object {$_.IsReadonly –eq $True } | Set-StoragePool –IsReadonly $False
    To set all StoragePools to IsReadOnly False (so StoragePools are ReadWrite)

At PS prompt, Enter
    Get-VirtualDisk

Check result displayed in PowerShell. IsManualAttach should be False. If any are True, then AutoAttach is Off.

To change IsManualAttach to False (so AutoAttach is On)
    At PS prompt, Enter
    Get-VirtualDisk | Where-Object {$_.IsManualAttach –eq $True} | Set-VirtualDisk –IsManualAttach $False
    To set all VirtualDisks to AutoAttach On

To check results, Enter
    Get-VirtualDisk
    And check results for IsManualAttach set to False which means the VirtualDisks should AutoAttach.

Problem should be solved now

5. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Thanks Draker,
    I hit this issue over the weekend.
    Your post was a lot of help. :)

6. jrufg2004

jrufg2004 MDL Novice

May 19, 2014
    It is me, or Win Server 2012 have a lot of new issues, because I've founding several of these now that I'm making upgrading my current 2003 and 2008 and moving to virtual.

7. Draker

Draker MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    Thanks for Positive Feedback

Thank you kindly ZaForD for the positive feedback. Pleased to know that I have been able to help someone. This forum has helped me in many ways and thanks to the community for that help.