Having weird network issues.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MarkJohnson, Oct 11, 2014.

1. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I have a couple of weird issues with win10 on my network.

first, It doesn't seem to see my homegroup on my server. It just asks me to create a new one for win10. Is there a trick to get it to join my server homegroup?

Second, my win10 doesn't seem to always remember my network share username and password. Sometimes it doesn't even recognize my server at all and I have to remote in and then back out and it sometimes will register.

btw, my server is a win7 ult. home server/htpc. Since WHS2011 doesn't support media center I had to switch to ultimate to get media center for recording my tv and editing out the commercials. Thank goodness for MCEBuddy.

Anyway, I hope someone can get my networking to the server resolved. this is driving me nuts.
    -=Mark=-

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Have you actually shared the drives of the Server to specific user's? And how (as what) you had setup the Server?

You could although try to connect to the server from Windows Explorer (File Manager) using the static IP of the server like (example): \\192.168.1.100 (or whatever the IP the server has) which should result to open the LogOn screen of the servers OS. If that isn't happen some of your Servers config isn't correct!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    First of all, it's not so easy to point you to a specific solution without knowing your network setup in a little more detail.

Nevertheless, regarding the homegroup issue I'd suggest to make sure that the clocks on all machines are synchronized and if you use a time server for synchronization, make sure it's the same on all machines. This also applies to routers within the network: Make sure the time is synchronized. Some cheaper models don't have the ability to or just don't keep the time synchronized via a time server, and as a result there will be an increasing delay over time because of imperfections in the timing hardware (compared to an atomic clock). For example, I had this exact problem on Windows 8.1 with such a router: it developed a delay of about 10 seconds over a period of two weeks. The only thing that helped was resetting it. After that, the homegroup worked again (until the next delay).

For the server, I'd recommend to give it a static IP and make sure you granted access to the remote user on all shared drives/folders.

4. MarkJohnson

Jan 30, 2010
    iirc, I just right clicked the folders in win7 ult. and shared them to MARK. Some read olny, and some read/write. All of my computer usernames are MARK, as well as the server's username. as it was the easiest way to setup.

I do that, but through remote desktop connection, but only when the server name doesn't show up in networking. Then when I logoff remote desktop connection my server seems to always show up. Next time it misbehaves I'll try the \\192.168.1.100 trick as it is easier than remote desktop connection.

Homegroup still doesn't work, and I'm afraid to tell it create a new homegroup. I don't want it to mess up the original.

5. MarkJohnson

Jan 30, 2010
    I'm not sure sure what network details need posting either. lol But, homegroup is suppose to preconfigured I thought. so no clue why that doesn't get picked up.

Time is fine as I just reset all of the clocks when I had another issue a couple of weeks ago. They are all within a few seconds of each other right now.

I don't have a static IP address for the server. In fact, this issue started right after updating the router firmware a couple of days ago. The first thing it was reassign my server's IP address. Once I found it's new address all was fine, until I installed win10 the other day.

I have three other computers that work just fine with homegroup and network finding the server. In fact this machine works when I boot with the win8.1 pro w/mce just fine.

Not sure how to do that. I just setup the server with a name and password. My clients just have the same name with no password. Then after setting permissions to my folder for mark. Then I just log into the server as mark with the server password.

Do you mean you want me to make user accounts on the server for each computer? I tried that once and it was so confusing and overly complicated to make changes that I gave up. I mean this is just a home server with useless info on it. I didn't think it would matter.

Thanks for yours guys' responses.
    -=Mark=-