HD 4000 driver update breaks brightness adjustment?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by donalgodon, May 12, 2013.

1. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Does anyone know why updating my HD 4000 driver kills my ability to adjust brightness on my Dell XPS 15 L521X and why reverting it brings brightness function back?

Dell support is clueless. I figured someone here might know how to update it and make brightness work.

2. MeMy&Myself

MeMy&Myself MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Bug. U should contact Intel support not Dell. In any case, the old driver works fine, right? So there is no reason for update it, just wait until next release.

3. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    second this.
    Just install the diver that works with your board and video card. Sometimes the latest driver has issues regarding older hardware

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pramodm

pramodm MDL Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Did face this issue while I was clean installing my new Inspiron 15 3521 to Windows 8.
    Banged my head through countless hours to finally figure out that the secret to a perfectly working graphics driver is to install the relevant drivers in an order. :bash:

What you need to do first is to install all the latest Intel Chipset & Management Engine drivers for your chipset.
    Next, install the HD 4000 graphics driver.
    And then, install the latest Catalyst / Nvidia drivers as per your graphics adapter.

Make sure that you follow this order, else your brightness remains cranky no matter what you try. :D

5. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I'll give that a try. Where can I find the latest chipset drivers?

6. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    It's not really old hardware. It's Ivy Bridge 3rd gen. I did contact Dell, but they are clueless.

7. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Guess I'll have to live with it, because I ran the updater for chipset and engine and both of them are already the latest.

Hope Dell gets this fixed soon enough, because I don't have the video adjustments that I use for external monitor/display. That's why I really want the latest HD4000 driver. Its' not included in the stock driver.

8. pramodm

pramodm MDL Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Well, did you try uninstalling all & then reinstalling these drivers in the order mentioned above?
    Also, for the external monitor / display, do you have the latest Nvidia drivers in place that hand-holds the latest HD 4000 drivers?

9. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I'm reluctant to break it again.

To review...

Remove 1) HD400 2) nvidia 3) engine 4) chipset

and then reinstall in the order you specified above? (1 chipset, 2 engine 3 hd4000 4) nvidia)