Hdama rev.i server

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by StenFrisk, Mar 1, 2012.

1. StenFrisk

StenFrisk MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2012
    Hey there i have bought a Arima Hdama rev.i server to have as a virtuel server.

I got problems directly getting any os to work with it. I used google and find this forums awesome bios fixes. I have now tried the 1,23 bios original and satalink and sataraid drivers with no luck. I also tested the 1,22 bios fixes like all of them and still no luck. When trying to install any windows i get blue screen ore restarts. I have tried to put acpi in bios both on and off.

In this server i have amd 2,0ghz opteron 270 dual cores two of them. 8gb of ram and have tested different sata and pata discs with no luck at all.

Im interested in getting this to run with esxi 4.0 ore 5.0 ore promox is also ok. Have tested with promox from 1.5 to 2.0 because i have seen other hdama machines getting it to run.

When a virtuel server is up i want to run one ubuntu desktop ore debian linux and one win7 ore win xp ore win 2003/2008 server on it.

Im stuck at the moment and cant get anywhere so would be happy for any help.

2. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Sounds like your system is over heating and/or bad memory. If you haven't removed the heat sinks and applied fresh thermal paste, then I suggest you do.

3. StenFrisk

StenFrisk MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2012
    That i have already done.... New thermal paste... Have taken out some memory and switching it also... when i try to install promox and do it in verbug vga=normal mode then it krasches on text --> Kernel Panic something....

Tqhoang have you get this server to run any of esxi ore promox ?? I have tested your bios fixes the 1.26 original, your 1,23 boot cd, And your 1,22 bios fixes also.

If i look at temprature on cpu,s in bios one is around 30-40 degrees Celsius and the other one lies around 10 under...

4. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    I don't actually have any HDAMA motherboards...I have the very-similar HDAMB workstation board and provided my BIOS mods to the HDAMA community as a courtesy.

I have used VMware ESXi 4.1 Update 1 on my HDAMB, but didn't really do much with it...was more of a test to see if it would see my 3ware PCI RAID controller. At work though, I do use VMware ESXi and have also tried ProxMox. ProxMox didn't work for me though since it uses a UML-like approach and the kernel would not allow me to use routing software like XORP.

Anyway, the problems that I've noticed people having were mixing DDR266 and with DDR333 or DDR400 RAM. Make sure your RAM is at least DDR333. Typically you'll see the offending kernel module that causes the panic.

Is the RAM you have from a name brand like Crucial or Corsair? I've got 4GB of registered DDR400 in both my HDAMB boards and don't have any memory issues. Couple questions:
    1. Are all the memory sticks identical? Can you post exactly what memory sticks you have, including the (brand, model, speed, etc)?
    2. Have you run Memtest86+ on the system?

5. StenFrisk

StenFrisk MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2012
    My ram is samsung pc3200r 8x1gb... All is the same. Memtest says ok.... I have got debian installed now without problems with the original bios 1.23 but when itś starts it reboots after the grub menu comes up. Maybe i can see some fault there ? If i push C ore E instead of enter i can get command line. What should i write to see whats failing here ? Maybe that can help us ?

6. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    So it appears that when your chipset is stressed, that the machine is locking up or rebooting.

Couple things to check out:
    1. Are your chipset heatsink(s) well attached?
    2. Have you tried a PCI video card to see if the onboard one is damaged?

7. StenFrisk

StenFrisk MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2012
    Hey again and thx for your time. I have tried your tips with no luck... But now the funny part took away 4 gb ram and i got debian up and running. I then put in 2gb ram and still is ok... If i mount 8gb of ram then itś back to basic again and don boot debian. But with 6gb it works. Maybe a ram is broken ore maybe the ports on the motherboard. Maybe the hdamai doesnt even support 8gb of ram ?

best reegards: Håkan

8. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    If all of your DIMM's are 100% identical and DDR400, the only thing I would check is to make sure the RAM is clocked down to DDR333 (or 166.66 MHz) speeds. I know my HDAMB does that when there are 4/4 DIMM slots being used regardless if they are all DDR400.