HDD bad sectors check help

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by gugutm, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gugutm

gugutm MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2012
    #1 gugutm, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    Hi Everyone

i hope i am in a right section

recreantly i got a lot off laptops to fix , i am not a computer shop person or so on, i am just a guy who fixing them in my spare time for couple extra quid :D

my problem begins with hdd some of them i think they got a bad sectors , and every time i had this question? what is best software to check it be out official microsoft check disk tool ? is there any third party i search in the internet but i coulldn't found , because as example , few days a go i bought a laptop saying just need new operating system ok i try to reinstall windows 7 everything went smoothly but when the windows was trying to boot up it just stuck, ok i thought i done something wrong maybe, so rathan using usb i put dvd disk and everything went smoothly again until the windows has to boot same problem i got

then i thought no something is not good and then i start hear strange sound from the hdd very tiny that something stuck not going trough so i put hdd trough HDD Low level Format tool, wich is by the way very good software, but it went trough very fine where as now i got another hdd put trough it, because it seams to me not functioning correctly and you know what it in format mode pick up straight away that there is a problem with the message

Format Error occurred at offset 1,753,153,536: 5
    that is how i know that the hdd has some faulty bad sectors and after format i will format once more and it should fix it for quite time being ,

so my question is there another software which can detect if your hdd had bad sectors and maybe mark them as a bad ones
    i dont mind if it will be even dos software as long it detects

many thanks and sorry for my English because it is not my mother tongue language

gugutm

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    wasting your time.. more bad sector appear next week.. replace disk :wheelchair:

3. gugutm

gugutm MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2012
    yes i understand but then for the future cos i need to buy some hdd from the ebay , and you never know if they good, so to be sure if they dont have bad sectors , is there any good third party software which could check it

4. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013
  5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Agreed, as a technician I advise you to replace it. For the record, I'm talking about your specific case. Other cases it will be worth to restore bad sectors.

6. puttynene

puttynene MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2014
    Yes there are many softwares the one i know check out from Stellar data recovery

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Top Tip: Don't buy HDDs from eBay - find a proper e-tailer or go to a proper computer shop

8. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    It's by luck one can get a fully functioning old HDD from the shop. I have learnt that through the hard way from past experiences with replacing faulty hard disks with old ones. I can only advise you to go for a brand new one.