HDD Disappearing

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by vze2mp9g, Jul 6, 2015.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello,
    I have two WD HDD. The first HDD is 2GB and I boot from it. The second HDD I store all my downloads on. When I have my computer on for over 15 minuets, the second HDD disappears, even diskpart can't find it. When I do a reboot, and the BIOS sees both HDD, loads Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit, the same thing happens.

Then when I boot in safe mode, the second HDD doesn't disappears. How can I check to see if it's a virus, malware, etc, and which program would be the best to find this error.

I would appreciate any and all feedback with this issue.
    Thank You.
    :worthy: o_O

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #2 LatinMcG, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    need model number of disk that is missing with firmware version.. in device manager details tab.

doubt it needs the idle timeout fixed .. WDidle

3. Mighty_Miro_WD

Mighty_Miro_WD Official WD Representative

Jul 30, 2014
    Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with the drives - I know how unpleasant it can be.

What I would suggest is to check if the drive is firmly sited and if there's any loose connections with the SATA cable and the power cable, and also you can plug it in a different SATA port of the motherboard. If there's such, re-plug the drive and see if the problem is fixed.

In case the drive continues to disappear after that, you can run a test on it with Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and see if anything wrong will be detected. Just make a backup of your important data if you decide to go with an extended test because if the DLG tool finds something wrong with the HDD it will try to fix it automatically. I'm not allowed to post any links at the moment, but you can find the program in the official WD website.

Hope this helps and let me know how it went. :)

4. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you for replying so quickly. Okay, been running Windows Ult 7 SP1 in SAFE MODE for about a day and a half now, and the drive did not disappear.

I just rebooted Windows Ult 7 SP1 (32 bit) in normal mode, and after about an hour and a half, it disappeared. SAFE MODE is the ONLY time it doesn't disappear. Can this be some type of virus/malware/or something else? Here is my drive info:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
    Model Number: WDC WD20EARS-00J99B0
    Unit Serial Number: WD-WCAWZ1815084
    Firmware Number: 80.00A80
    Capacity: 2000.40 GB
    SMART Status: PASS
    Test Result: FAIL
    Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!
    Test Time: 21:47:29, July 06, 2015 This is my drive 1, which only has one partition. This is the drive that disappears when Windows boots in normal mode, but not in SAFE MODE.

Below is Drive 0, Boot Drive

Test Option: QUICK TEST
    Model Number: WDC WD1001FALS-00K1B0
    Unit Serial Number: WD-WMATV2325865
    Firmware Number: 05.00K05
    Capacity: 1000.20 GB
    SMART Status: PASS
    Test Result: FAIL
    Test Error Code: 11-Test cable error! I have never had an issues with this drive at all.
    Test Time: 21:47:53, July 06, 2015

I really hope that you might be able to figure something out. This is the strangest thing I've ever seen. Could someone, somehow, via the internet be causing this on my desktop only?

I would appreciate any and all assistance with this issue.
    Thank You.
    :worthy:

5. Mighty_Miro_WD

Jul 30, 2014
    Well, the test results aren't good.

For drive 1 I would suggest to make a backup of all important data and either look for a replacement drive, or if it's still under warranty you can contact our support and make a RMA. I'm not able to post links yet, but you can find them in the support section of the Western Digital website.

As for the other HDD, you can change the SATA cable and run another test to see what the results will be.

6. Gladiator66

Gladiator66 MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2010
    Hi, Have you tried changing the cables....;)

I once had a similar problem....and it sorted only by changing the cables....:tea:

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @vze2mp9g: What's the temperature where you are? I know it's not likely, but could this be a thermal failure?

And start with the simplest things first. Try the drivers that LatinMcG suggested. Then, Swap the cables with the other drive, as Gladiator66 suggested. (A little dangerous; make sure that everything is backed up.)
    If you get no relief, then RMA the drive as Mighty_Miro_WD suggested.

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Install Hard Disk Sentinel and see diagnostic output.

9. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Not yet, but I'm going to try. I'll get back to you in a couple and let you know what happens. :)

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    If you plug the "faulty" drive into another computer and behaves fine, then your Windows installation is damaged due to malware or any other sort of file corruption. Either way re-format and re-install.

11. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you all for all the good advice. When I decided to put the drive in another computer, I noticed that the power cord connected to the SATA drive had one of the plastic shieldings that popped off.

I then replaced it withe a good power cord, and so fare, knock on wood, is working fine.
    Thank You all.

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Hmm... I knock on your head :biggrin:
    Thought you have already inspected that since the beginning lol
    No really, I'm glad you solved your problem.

13. Mighty_Miro_WD

Jul 30, 2014
    I'm glad everything turned out fine man! :)