HDD Dismount Problem?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jumpman17, Jun 16, 2013.

1. jumpman17

jumpman17 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    Hi, I'm working on a computer and hooked up the drive on another computer to run a check disk. It said I needed to force a dismount before it could continue. I looked this up and everyone seemed to say to do so, let it run, then restart the computer. I forced the dismount, but then nothing happened. It just shows a drive is there, but if you try to do anything to it, it says the drive needs to be formatted before I can use it. Please help.

2. jumpman17

jumpman17 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    Interesting, I didn't know such a disc existed. I'll grab that for future use, thanks. As for the current drive, I've gone ahead and quick formatted it and I'm currently running Recuva on it and it's finding all the files right now. Then comes the fun part of sorting through the files, then reinstalling Windows and starting from scratch once I've verified the drive is okay.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    u didnt have to do that.. in hirens use find and mount and u can mount lost drive and recover files

or with active@ boot disk .. active@ parittion recovery

to find files ive had a few tools work like filescavenger and a few others.

4. jumpman17

jumpman17 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    Well, that would have been easier, lol. I'm assuming it's too late to do that now as it's been quick formatted. Oh well, it's probably for the better. The thing was running Windows Vista and so loaded down with other crap, it needed a clean start.

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    correct.. i only use it to recover files, then i wipe if hdd is good

6. jumpman17

jumpman17 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    Argh, this is driving me nuts. I ran Recuva, it got to 100%, but then it just sat there not moving on to step 2. All it was doing was eating all 4 GBs of my RAM. Cancelling didn't work either. I rebooted and tried again and this time cancelled it at 70% as it didn't find much of anything from then on during the first scan. It showed cancelling and 100%, but never moved on. I've tried Puran File Recovery twice now as well and it just seems to go for a random amount of time and then stops reading from the drive.

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    sounds like hdd is defective. try reading S.M.A.R.T. logs.

try hirens findandmount,... or filescavenger on hd 0 not c:

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    that is USB and imac issue... could be your USB device is not properly power managed by os x