HDD Error Code

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by subyroo, Jul 31, 2012.

1. subyroo

subyroo MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2011
    My mate has an old Maxtor 60GB that gives him the error code:

"0200 Failure Fixed Disk 0" press F1 to Resume press F2 to enter setup.

Is this HDD dead?
    We would like to get his photo's etc off it if we can, he is buying a new PC.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    boot hirens or linux on cd or usb .. with hirens u can try findandmount.
    but likely hdd is very damaged and might have lost some files.

3. ELiTEFX

ELiTEFX MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2012
    try doing a Google search "0200 Failure Fixed Disk 0" Plenty of info there.....:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. not_simple

not_simple MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2018
    I have a WD external hard disk drive when I plug it in its turn on and starts spinning, after a few seconds I get a popup from windows saying Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
    and ist shut down.
    no unusual noise or clicking.
    TIA

5. not_simple

not_simple MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2018
    Thank you for the link,( I have tried already in a powered USB hub whit no luck) will try it again, Thanks for that and for the fest responds.

6. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2018
    You could try on another pc, check cables for any mechanical damage, controller board on the hdd (if u have access) for any visual damage etc.
    Depending on type of disk u have.

7. not_simple

not_simple MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2018
    everything looks good, I have been it tried into multiple PC's I think I have to try in a MAC maby?!

8. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Sure worth a try, kind of disk is this? USB powered or external power?

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    one think i can recommend is in bios the hdd detection set to LBA nor large.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Image, backup and back up :tooth:

11. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @not_simple - Error code 43 usually indicates a missing or corrupted driver. It sounds like you're using a USB port or hub instead of a SATA connector, so, the next time you connect this drive, open the Device Manager, scroll down to the bottom, and examine USB Controllers. Try uninstalling all the USB devices, reboot, and let Windows re-install them.

I mention this because for a long time on my Windows 7 laptop, every time I plugged in a USB flash drive, Windows would send the message "installing drivers for this device". Doing what I described above eliminated the message.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. hakah

hakah MDL Junior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    I have following error message shown on my old laptop Seagate HDD by Sentinel :
    "98 errors occurred in the data transmission. This may indicate a problem with the device or data/power cable. It is recommended to check and replace the cable. In this case, replacing the disk will no longer provide a guarantee. This will only happen if the health of the disk drops. If an abrupt system crash occurs and the system is rebooted, the system will fail to access the file/folder. It is recommended to check the connection of the data transmission cable or the power cable. If possible, try to replace the cable with a different one to avoid further damage or serious problem."
    I have checked the connection and replaced the cable and problem still exists. What remedy action I have to undergo and any solution to the problem encountered?
    Thanks for the assistance!

13. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Without doubts, get a new one (drive).
    Afterwards run test again then you'll see...

14. hakah

hakah MDL Junior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Thanks for the advice. What actually is the cause of such defect?

15. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Wear and tear due to aging?

Remember?
    Everything wears out of service.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Seeing as this is a portable usb drive, it's possible that the drive is o.k. and the controller in the portable device has failed. You can check this by removing the drive from the portable case and connecting it directly to your pc via the sata/molex cables. Depending on the type of portable enclosure, it may or may not be a simple operation to remove the drive itself

17. not_simple

not_simple MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2018
    Thanks, everyone for trying to help me.
    uninstalling all the USB devices did not help,
    I will check if its detected in bios and try to image it. because its get shut down by windows so I hope it will stay on in bios and clone it whit? .
    the device has a mini USB to the controller board not a SATA, so I don't think I will replace the controller board so fest
    thank you all

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  19. not_simple

not_simple MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2018
    #20 not_simple, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018