HDD install issues

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by brianb22, Nov 23, 2012.

1. brianb22

brianb22 MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2012
    trying to install a new hard drive on a compaq presario v3000. actually let me start from the beginning. the old one just stopped working one day. went into bios and ran a hard drive test and said no ide device was detected. my initial thought was the drive went bad since the computer has been dropped a few times. took it out and put the new one. it was my brother-in-law's so since it had an OS on it already thought it would boot right up. it didn't. decided to load windows 7 on it to see if that would solve the problem. got to the point where you pick which drive to load it on and is saying there isn't one detected. clicked on load driver but problem is i don't have it. been on hp website trying to find the hdd drivers for this model and haven't had any luck. any thoughts?

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    check bios boot order .. also for example if ahci is enabled in bios you will have to provide driver etc .. provide link with specs on machine and check if hardware requirements are met for W7

3. brianb22

brianb22 MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2012
    Boot order is correct. Hardware is W7 compatible. I put it on the old hdd. Ill have to post the link later

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Is the latest Bios update installed?

5. brianb22

brianb22 MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2012
    Doubt it. How do I go about finding out and if not updating?

6. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    open bios and there should be a computer info page listing bios version

compare version to latest om HP site for your models driver and bios update page .. also search HP for bios update instructions

7. brianb22

brianb22 MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2012
    checked the site. where you go to download drivers the option to pick your OS Windows 7 isn't on there which means there's no updates for it. thing is i don't have an OS obviously. when i turn on the laptop the compaq screen pops up and then it's just a black screen with a cursor. this did the same thing with my old hdd so it's not the new one. something with the laptop isn't recognizing the hdd and i don't know where to look.

8. brianb22

brianb22 MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm trying to get W7. I don't have any other OS. If the BIOS isn't recognizing the hdd then I'm never going to get an OS installed until it does right?

9. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Hirens is an live OS (XP) run it and see .. It also has many tools within to repair things which could be preventing the machine from recognizing the HD .. Also try setting the BIOS to default settings .. You can create a OEM XP SP3 CD from info on this site if need be..