HDD Media Player

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Patricko, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Patricko

Patricko MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Hello there!

I've got one question about buying new HDD Media Player for my TV.
    Currently I have Lacie LaCinema 2TV and I really like it. It doesn't have any problem with MKV and SRT files.
    But everything is going forward and last update for my device was like 5 years ago.

Lack of support isn't everything. My Lacie have problem with 4K movies, I have to use my laptop to be able to watch them on TV.
    Are there some good HDD Media Players these days? I heard many good things about Network HDD Media Players, but I don't know if I need one.

Can somebody propose any good HDD Media Player? It would be best if it have really long support.

Cheers and thx in advance!

2. Patricko

Patricko MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    If I understand well, I have to have my own HDD with movies, via USB or use SDCard, right?
    USB is 2.0 or 3.0? Because for 4K movies, the 2.0 won't be too slow?

3. Bill Liu

Bill Liu Guest

my opinion: Best it together yourself

Exsample: with J3710M (asrock.com/mb/Intel/J3710M/index.us.asp)

Solid Capacitor Design ++ ELNA Audio Caps ++Full Spike Protection
    HEVC (H.265) Decoding + 4K, Supports HEVC (H.265) decoding to provide substantially improved video quality.
    ++ (If you need) --> Supports Up to 48CH H.265 IP Cameras :)

4. silashack

silashack MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2013
    You will be hard pushed to find a decent HDD media player anymore, the current trend is quiet and fanless, something a HDD isn't.

And you have to be wary of fads and trends, 4K/60, H.265, 10bit etc etc, plenty say they are capable but fall short when trying to resolve the complexity of user managed rips and conversions.

Only the other day I dusted off an my Popcorn Hour A-110, and tried it out, w a y t o o s l o w for current needs.

I have a few Intel NUC devices, but for the best solution, only the newer 6th generation units are being advised as future proof.

I also have a few raspberry pi units, fun to play with but 'fussy' I have installed both Openelec and my preferred Libreelec, but the only thing that has played ALL the various formats of downloaded files is the Odroid C2 with Libeelec.

But other then specific models of NUC that can accommodate either SSD/HDD or the newer M.2 or mSATA then they all rely on external resources, and I for one use a QNAP NAS to provide that.

I have tried the Android boxes, but they are IMHO not the best user experience and I would not recommend them, having said that the suggested Wetek is supposed to be one of the better options, well supported and built.

The days not the NMT have long gone, there are some options, but the movement seems to be towards the devices described above, and that is supported by the forums and website, and these seem to be based on KODI derivatives (was XBMC)

This is a personal opinion, and others may know of and have NMT units, but for me I would suggest the low cost units like pi or odroid and see where things are going for a little while.... much cheaper option?

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    £30 gets you Raspberry Pi with Openelec. Plays anything up to 1080p, never failed me

4K content is hard to come by (and the question really is: why bother?)

sebus

6. Patricko

Patricko MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Are there any more powerful devices so I won't have to worry? Or Wetek is all that I need for 4K movies?
    I mean, I'm a little bit worried that in future I will have to look for another device, because Wetek will become outdated really fast.

And what are the difference between OpenELEC and Android versions? I would like to buy Android version, but I would like to know which version is better.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Everything becomes outdated really fast. You come out of the shop, it is already outdated!

Wetek is cheap, does the job. Core only comes with Android, Openelec is option only on Play (no difference in hardware, you can stick Android back on it, and even run Enigma2 from SD)

But now there is new Hub

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @sebus: I thought it was just me getting old. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Patricko

Patricko MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Yeah, I see they released a new product. I think I will invest my money into Wetek Hub :)
    Seems the most powerful and up to date.