HDD Not Recognized After SSD Install... Need Help Please

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Forsaken77, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Forsaken77

Forsaken77 MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2014
    #1 Forsaken77, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    OK... I finally found the right ISO for my clean install of Windows 8 for my SSD. After finally getting Windows to properly activate on the SSD and loading up all the ASUS drivers, I went to reinstall the old HDD in the second bay of my laptop but it won't work, isn't in disc management and I'm unable to access the BIOS via ESC while both drives are plugged in together.

The new SSD is a 256GB 840 Pro. I have the OS partitioned as C drive and 100GB size. The remaining space on the SSD is labeled D drive. The original HDD was also C drive, don't know if that's causing a conflict or not. I don't know what else I can do to get both drives working together. Also, my laptop is a Asus G750JW.

Figured it out... I had run Samsung Magician software to optimize the SSD for performance but it took away access to the slow drive. I re-optimized for capacity and now the drive is back. So I'm good.

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Perhaps your problem is related to SATA drivers for your HDD.

3. Forsaken77

Forsaken77 MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2014
    The Samsung Magician software that came with the SSD had blocked out the other drive bay because it was empty when I ran it. Then after I reinstalled the original drive and it didn't work. So not being able to do much else, I took a shot in the dark and re-ran the Magician software and it re-enabled the drive. But now I got my printer, which is connected to my router, listed as network drive Z. It's not messing anything up, but it's annoying me because it was never listed as a network drive before.

I apologize for my posts... I try for hours, then days, to figure something out and when I'm just about to pull my hair out... I ask about it here. Right after posting the question here, I figure it out myself. It's like I'm absorbing you guys' knowledge just being connected to the site lol.

4. pimpindexter

pimpindexter MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    Make sure your BIOS sees it, if not verify the cables.
    Or try another computer.