Hdd Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by quart54, Aug 15, 2011.

1. quart54

quart54 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2010
    Recently built new system win 7x64 on 1tb Hd. Installed old drive win xp exactly as it came out of old machine. This has worked without probs for about six months. Over the weekend the win xp drive has disappeared from My computer/disk manager, but appears in Bios. Can boot from either without probs, but would like to get it back as it was, would appreciate any help you could give
    rgds

2. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Try running an elevated sfc /scannow as a first step and see if that does the trick. Check for any integrity violations that could not be fixed (if any).

I assume that the old HDD still carries a drive letter assigned to it, otherwise - from what you said - it would have appeared under Disk Management.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. quart54

quart54 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2010
    X86, sorry about the delay, but this is very much a working computer and access is limited. Ran sfc as you advised, this produced a log file 38mb long most of the entries refer to win update agent, I can't see any other obvious file errors.
    I'm not sure what u are referring to about Hdd assigned letter, when it was working the xp drive was "E", now it does not appear anywhere in the OS.
    A couple of other things I have discovered, the search for Msconfig returns not found and the PcHealth folder is empty. Any help gratefully received

rgds

4. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    When you say "access is limited" - you mean you don't have admin rights there? You need to run sfc from an elevated cmd prompt and that ideally should come back with something like "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". Otherwise we need to look at the errors :wacko:

Regarding the drive letter - in order for any storage device to appear in your system, it needs to have a letter assigned to it. This is usually done automatically, but for example if you have an HDD with unallocated space, it won't show up, unless you format and then specify a drive letter manually. During installation of Windows, the setup doesn't really bother doing that as long as it has a primary partition available in which to install Windows. But since the E drive was functional in the past, this is a different issue here.

What I am more concerned about is the integrity of your installation. You mean by typing msconfig at Run or cmd returns Not Found? Try typing msconfig.exe - do you still get the error? Are you running these using a limited / Guest account? If so, you need Admin privileges in order to be able to troubleshoot the system properly...

Also have you checked for malware? Which 7 x64 ISO did you use for the installation? Was it an untouched image? Did you modify it afterwards in any way i.e. add/remove components, hotfixes etc :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
  6. quart54

quart54 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2010
    X86, sorry limited access meaning before 0700 after 1700 (GMT +8). Have full admin control. Sfc finishes with "some files couldn't be repaired. Trawling thru the log file I can only see failures with reference to Win update agent and reference to KB#
    Malwarebytes in normal/safe mode gives nothing found. Quick/Deep scans. Similar with full anti virus scan no results.
    OS is OEM win 7 pro legal. All programs on both hdd are legal. Internet access is limited to updates and e-mail no surfing.
    Ref msconfig only copy I can find is in winsxs folder Will check later msconfig.exe. cmd works ok with access to "run as" Could this have something to do with a corrupt MS update. thks for your input
    rgds

7. quart54

quart54 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2010
    X86, sorry limited access meaning before 0700 after 1700 (GMT +8). Have full admin control. Sfc finishes with "some files couldn't be repaired. Trawling thru the log file I can only see failures with reference to Win update agent and reference to KB#
    Malwarebytes in normal/safe mode gives nothing found. Quick/Deep scans. Similar with full anti virus scan no results.
    OS is OEM win 7 pro legal. All programs on both hdd are legal. Internet access is limited to updates and e-mail no surfing.
    Ref msconfig only copy I can find is in winsxs folder Will check later msconfig.exe. cmd works ok with access to "run as" Could this have something to do with a corrupt MS update. thks for your input
    rgds

8. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    Try this maybe it will help solve your problem

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
    2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
    3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
    4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
    5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
    6. Expand the "Control" Key
    7. Expand the "Class" Key
    8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
    10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
    11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

9. quart54

quart54 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2010
    #9 quart54, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
    (OP)
    Nero100
    Thks for the suggestion, unfortunately this didn't help, I might also point out that the string u provided refers to the cdrom, the string for hdd is in the class folder and does contain a filter , removing it didn't change anything. I did try the key u provided (just incase) but this too was unsuccessful. I'm of a mind now that there is much more going on than just this. Search function has been lost, PcHealth folder is m.t. ,and there is a long list of automatic win 7 updates that have failed. Think a repair install might be the only option left. Nero100, X86 many thanks for your interest
    rgds
    Quick ? on repair install, can I use any edition Mdl win7 Pro/Ultra to avoid using oem supplied disk pre Sp 1

10. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
  11. frisbee66

frisbee66 MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    #12 frisbee66, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011
    I think its the flouride in the water or something.
    Thats why I dont post help stuff anymore, here or anywheres else
    Nobody seems to be able to FOCUS on a mental level.
    Only posted here on a lark (while i am eating Pizza)
    I did not say Kaspersky was a great AV.
    I said to try Kaspersky TO SEE IF IT FUNCTIONS FROM A BOOTED CD.
    The numerous latest industrial grade trojans shut down all AV, change file permissions, turn off restore points, dont allow internet, and i had one that wouldnt let the Win 7 DVD run past the install screen greeting page.
    So if you run the Kas AV tool and it sits dead like I said, then you know you are fu**ed.
    However, my guess is HDD going south.

Anyways, posting was my bad
    I deeply sincerely apologize
    Wont happen again
    Have a nice day.

Oh, BTW - I dont get virus, only when deliberately trying. I use Linux Mint 11 for internet/email

12. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    few months ago I have similar problem (data lost, errors, can not write, can not read data etc). I solved it. It was hardware problem with SATA cable. With new cable hdd works fine.