hdd question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BigCol, Jul 9, 2010.

1. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    #1 BigCol, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
    Is there any way of truely wiping your computer hard drive clean? I know all about formatting on installation etc. Ive received a letter earlier today about an album I downloaded illegally over 12 months ago. If I dont pay £300, I go to court. I have downloaded lots of things and even though I format my hdd each time I reboot my pc, I have read stuff which says you cannot truely wipe your hdd clean. I can get rid of the stuff that I have downloaded, thats not a problem but I want to make sure my pc is 100% clean. (NO I AM NOT A PAEDO BEFORE ANY IDIOT ASKS) Thanks guys

2. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Im going to leave fire sharing alone and hope that I wont hear anything more about it. utorrent was mentioned in the letter along with peer 2 peer. I hardly use utorrent tbh, I usually use rapidshare and megashares for the stuff I dow..............used to download

3. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #4 Rosco, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
    You can easily get a hold of Acronis TrueImage Home 2010, make a bootable CD and run Acronis DriveCleanser. They "guarantee" drive cleaning using advanced techniques. Haven't tried it myself but Acronis stuff works.

PS - who sent you the letter ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    The best way it to write zero's to it full wipe at least with a wd hdd

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I have to agree with Brainsuck there. Western Digital has a tool called Data Lifeguard that will write zero's to the whole HDD(Can take a long time to complete) but works the best. WD calls it "Low Level Format." Basically that is the format technique that is used at the manufactures. A normal format will only write zero's to the first X amout of clusters. I cannot remember but it is not all the clusters. A low level format will write all the clusters to zeros!

6. GAVINEER

GAVINEER MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2009
    Pay the £300 or you're screwed, mate.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  8. cyclops

cyclops MDL Senior Member

Sep 10, 2007
    don't pay the £300 tell them to GTFO

9. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    What do I need and hoiw do I do it? Im still a noob when it comes to this stuff mate. Thanks

10. Julius

Julius MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Fight It! Don't bow down to the so called rulers in your neck of woods >>>
    You should be able to obtain and retain any and all available information from the airwaves and wire (after all, the governments do this and big business does this without any ones consent) ...
    It's what you do "after" receiving the info or files for this matter that's the concern..
    If you share or send it back to others, out of your own home or computer is what is the probable cause of possible troubles.. (Freedom and Freedom of information) !!

11. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    If you are form UK I assume this is from ACS:Law, speak to ofcom about this, plead your innocence and so forth.

BBC Watchdog as well, get in contact with them.

ACS:Law are a pack of *I swore here but not sure if that's against forum rules so edited tbqh* mass mailing alleged illegal file shares, their approach is entirely questionable and ISP's are much against it.

12. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
  13. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #15 Phazor, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  14. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    well you have two choices low level format like they do at the manufactures or take your hdd out your system and place on a electromagnetic field like say scrap yard crain the one's that pick up car's that will distroy the data on the hdd truly

15. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    If you're really worried you have to zerofill it at least 2 times, and maybe 3 to 4 times to completely get rid of all data.
    This is because when you overwrite a 1 with a 0 then the 0 will be read as 0, but it will not be completely 0. And they won't, but if the platters are taken out and analysed bit for bit then they know that a 0 that's not a complete 0 previously was a 1, a 0 that IS as full 0 also was a 0 before.
    The same works in reverse too, a 1 that's a full 1 was already 1, a 1 that isn't a full 1 was a 0 before.

16. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    What programs do this? Any tutorials knocking around? I want to make sure I do everything properly

17. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #19 Stannieman, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
    Just zerofill and if you get any options to do multiple passes choose how many you want, else just zerofill again when it's completed.
    Preferably use something that uses random bits, like dban with guthmann method

18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007