HDD Showing Wrong Size

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by GoreThul, Apr 13, 2011.

1. GoreThul

GoreThul MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2011
    #1 GoreThul, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
    Sorry if already here, i am having a prob with 2 of my secondary HDD, they are both 80 Gig but one coming up as 27.9 Gig, other as a 38.2 Gig, i am on a Compac Presasrio SR111NX desktop, the HDD's are Maxtor 2f040jo and WDC WD300AB-72BVA0, they both were showing proper size about a month ago, then this old computer got a virus that "Locked" one HDD just like an X-Box HDD and cut the size of these 2, am not worried about the locked one at the moment, just these 2, any help is greatly appreciated, Thank You Very Much In Advance.

(Edit)
    Sorry, i forgot to add that i am looking for some kind of bootable disc, prefer cd, to allow me to fix this prob in dos mode.

2. freemyggle

freemyggle MDL Junior Member

Mar 29, 2011
  3. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    It would be helpful to know the name of the virus you're saying corrupted your system. Knowing its name, you can search the web and usually get specific fixes. It might not even be a virus but some other form of corruption.

If your system drive [usually C:] is unaffected, you might just need to format the secondary drives. Maybe wipe and format them after you copy off any critical data to the system drive, external HDD or burn to optical disk.

Or you can use GPartEd (Gnome Partition Editor) to delete all partitions on the two secondary drives and then reestablish them. This will, of course, destroy all their data so you'd need to take steps to preserve it first.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. freemyggle

freemyggle MDL Junior Member

Mar 29, 2011
    It's always a great idea to keep all of your treasured data backed up. Either rebuilding or fixing, it's always good to have your data solidified.

5. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    +1

True words have never been spoken.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...