HDD Swap

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by freemyggle, Mar 30, 2011.

1. freemyggle

freemyggle MDL Junior Member

Mar 29, 2011
    I own an HP Pavilion DV6500 (model dv6625us) that I bought on Black Friday of 2007 from Radio Shack. I recently got into computer tech and have since upgraded all kinds of software, and just recently got into the hardware spectrum of computer use. Yesterday I received a 500GB Hard Drive that is allegedly supposed to be for the DV6500, but the copper points of connection on the PCB of the HDD do not match the one that is on the HDD that is in this machine now. I called COMPTICK to inquire what they inferred about changing the "bracket" from the old drive onto the new, and the guy on the phone directed me to pry off the connection part from my old and add it to the new. I have a few other PCs that are beyond repair so I began experimenting on one of those HDDs to ensure from damaging valuable parts. I've found that the connection point on the leading edge of the HDD's PCB did not want to easily come loose and from visualization, it appears to be soldered on. I won't be able to get back in touch with COMPTICK until tomorrow for further discussion on what procudures (if any) to follow, or do I need to send this HDD back and get a new one.

The emboldened text above is a hyperlink to the HDD that I recently got in the mail. Below are links to pictures of the old drive and the new drive for visualization purposes. I've been tearing up the internet looking to be educated about a possible course of direction to take and since I found the solution to my Intel 4965AGN wifi problem on this forum today, I figure I'd give it another whirl.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

(Apologies, this forum's rules forbid me from attaching links to anything until I post more than 20 posts. I have a link to the specific HDD that I purchased, as well as 2 images that I'd like to share with this thread for efficient communication purposes, but I guess I will just have to make peace with the language I chose to convey my dilemma and hope that is enough.

2. freemyggle

Mar 29, 2011
    Additional research informs me that I have an IDE style setup, but I purchased a SATA style hard drive. I will politely inform the people on the other end of the phone that they have given me incorrect instructions and and to expect a return in the mail of the HDD.

3. freemyggle

Mar 29, 2011
    Haha, further research leads me to my solution, but I wish to share it for the next man. As it turns out, I have a PATA hard drive connection on my SATA hard drive. I come to find that this is somewhat rare, as most new computers run with a strictly SATA style connection point. For the PATA style, I simply needed to separate the PATA connection bracket from the SATA hard drive which was very simple and could easily be performed with a butter knife, or a flathead screwdriver, then simply slide the PATA connection bracket over the new SATA HDD and install it back into the machine.

I plan to create a YouTube tutorial for this very simple procedure after I've completely moved into the new HDD. Hopefully I will have my 20 posts (mostly talking to myself) that I can attach the link to this thread. Thanks again, peace.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ freemyggle, Normal procedure would be to open up computer case and check what available connectors are there i,e, IDE or SATA before ordering up or buying hard drive some computers have both.

5. freemyggle

Mar 29, 2011
    I took the replacement numbers from this model's manual, and proceeded to begin shopping for something in my budget. Within the manual, there was zero reference to IDE/PATA style connectors, and all I've been exposed to in other machines to this point was SATA style, not to mention that the numbers on my hard drive and the numbers on the new one were pretty much identical with the exception of capacity. There is very little info on the web, and none on YouTube about IDE/PATA v. SATA connections and I was on the verge of returning the correct drive for lack of knowledge of what parts go where.

I have since made a tutorial on Camtasia and am in the process of editing it. It will likely be on YouTube before the close of tonight and hopefully the next person will not have to rack his brains like I did. Thank you for the comments, I greatly appreciate the help.

6. freemyggle

Mar 29, 2011
    I added the YouTube tutorial link about this solution to my Profile Bio as I am not yet allowed to attach links directly to threads.

7. comandoed

comandoed MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2008
    Saw your video. Cool. Learned something new.

8. freemyggle

Mar 29, 2011
    In HP's defense, my laptop was purchased on Black Friday of 2007. I'd like to believe that they have gotten out of the stone age since then, but have no way of knowing for certain.