HDD Weird Sound

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by TONPumper, Feb 26, 2011.

1. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Randomly, my hard drive will make a sound like it's scratching hardcore for a split second and then stop. Usually it happens when I have some sort of media program open with a movie or I'm playing music. I have a Toshiba HDD. Should I be concerned? I ran a chkdsk but nothing showed up.

2. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Firstly, are you sure its coming from the HDD?

It sounds like the HDD may be on its way out, if its that which is causing the noise (I'm assuming you're talking about a laptop/notebook computer). Laptop/notebooks aren't really designed for what people use them for, overheating is a common problem and that can be the death of HDD's (as well as the battery etc).

The main thing would be to ensure that it is the hdd making the noise, back up all you want to keep onto an external disk (USB stick etc), and then replace the drive. That would require a complete reinstall of course :S After you have done this, make sure the air vents aren't blocked, and if you leave it on a desk etc, leave it slightly raised at the back to allow air flow underneath.

If its a desktop, the process is the same, just ensure there is some airflow around the HDD. Some cases are really terrible.

3. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Sorry for the lack of info. It is a laptop, and if the HDD is starting to die, that sucks because I just got it a few months ago. It sounds like it's coming from the HDD area.

4. Skeptical

Skeptical MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2011
    Are you 100% sure it's the HDD, does it only happen you are accessing files on the HDD?

5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Taser

Taser MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Try to enable Automatic Acoustic Management of Hard disk

This solved the same 'click' problem I had on my Western Digital Hard disk

7. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    #7 TONPumper, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    (OP)
    My HDD doesn't support AAM.

8. randomboy

randomboy MDL Junior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Okay, the last one for Toshiba sounds kind of like mine, but it doesn't happen at startup.

10. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Have you ran any diagnostics ?

I would perform a backup and be prepared for the worst. Just in case.

11. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I ran a dskchk but it didn't find anything.

12. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Maybe your disk is very fragmented, this can cause increased reads when opening anything. This happens on my laptop with a Seagate drive, it also has a nasty habit of powering down and you hear a sort of scraping noise, which isn't helped by being in a confined laptop chassis, but it's perfectly healthy, two years and counting.

13. rinsa

rinsa MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    this kind of sounds the same for my laptop but mines brand new so its a bit odd for the hard drive to be doing that. I have stored it in a bag a few time i always remember to shut it down cause of over heating issues but i forget a lot im almost 100% sure i have though but i cant say if i know of this happening before today. Im pretty sure i realised a really faint sound from my computer about 2 days ago and i didnt think nothing cause its a new laptop. The noise i get is the same kind of noise when the hard drive is under stress but in really short bursts and it doesnt happen all the time sometimes it will just make the normal stress noise. I checked the hard drive with a HD utility program and it came up with 1 sector error but when i scanned each block nothing but in the health tab it said 1 bad sector and my computer is under warning (amber). Shall i do scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors cause i read information saying dont do this if your hard drive is failing or on the way to failing. I really dont know if it is failing cause its running normally and smooth but people have said this takes a long process what to do????

14. rinsa

rinsa MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    ok i did that diskcheckup posted and everything in smart info has a status of ok so my drive isnt going to fail if im correct? because im not very good at understanding what everything is in there but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know status will say OK or FAIL.